Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Dug out decal ?

Article about: Hi all I posted this helmet on another helmet forum some time ago minus the close ups of the decal area. Their general opinion was that the decal has been exposed due to the weak decal. I ha

Default Dug out decal ?

Hi all
    I posted this helmet on another helmet forum some time ago minus the close ups of the decal area.
    Their general opinion was that the decal has been exposed due to the weak decal.
    I have since then studied closely and you can actually see the brush strokes going vertical downs the sides of the decal and around the base.
    I think the weak decal is due to partial removal following the October 1943 ruling on decals . What are your thoughts on this matter.
    Thank you
    Corston
    Personally I love this helmet .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dug out decal ?   Dug out decal ?  

Dug out decal ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Dug out decal ?  Dug out decal ?  Dug out decal ?  Dug out decal ?  Dug out decal ? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dug out decal ?
    P
    Many

There was no directive to soldiers in the field in 1943 to remove decals. Only factories were asked to stop applying decals.
    This decal was fully overpainted when reissued it looks to me. Was it after the war revealed by a collector ? It is possible or the paint could have dropped off because it did not adhere well to the decal.

Thank you for correcting me on that.
    In the hand more so than shows in the picture,
    The decal area has been painted around rather than straight through as it has on the other side.

Nice helmet, definitely has that been there look. I'm not sure that the chin riemen has the same overall wear as helm itself but it all looks good to me.

Thank you Blackcat , I value the opinion of both you and schwerpunkt.
    I totally get what schwerpunkt is suggesting and he is most likely correct.
    But my thoughts were it went back for refurb due to broken liner etc , did not require a re paint so decal remained. And was then field camo painted with the decal painted around.
    But I am far from experienced in these matters and appreciate the experience of the good people in this forum. Regarding the “ been there” look , I certainly hope it was there for what I paid for it

MAP
    ?

While it does look like the decal could have been painted around, there is clearly paint left on the actual decal. I tend to agree with Franks assessment.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is a very good observation MAP and something that I had overlooked.
    I am very confused.
    Thank you for pointing that out
    Best wishes
    Corston

I see what you mean about the brush strokes. It's strange because there is also some thick paint on the decal.
    My gut feeling is that it had 2 or more over-paints. But the decal has been dug out.

That said, it's a great looking helmet either way. Congrats.

Thank you Houndstooth
    It does display very nicely
    Corston