Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Estate Sale German Helmet Questions

Article about: My dad bought this helmet today from estate sale. It looks like the decals inside and on the front were sealed with some kind of sealer? I am wondering well first if these decals are real an

MAP
    ?

Good luck! I wish you the best. From a collectors point of view, it makes little sense, but....sometimes it IS important to do something despite the economic implications.

I would have done the same thing for my Dad.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estate Sale German Helmet Questions
    P
    Many

Something to consider, since these are so cheap, why not chalk this one up as a learning experience, and look for a complete excellent condition one to take its place? By the time you buy a new liner if one ever shows up for this, you're probably paying most of the cost of a complete one anyway.

It's really cool you and your dad are both enjoying these items items together (I assume that anyway, since you're a paid member here). The value of that = priceless.

for something in this condition the partial liner thats left is more interesting than a new one added, it looks more authentic if left alone, because it all matches

it makes a nice display on the shelf as is, nothing needs to be done, sometimes a restoration is more like an alteration and ruins the item even more by altering it

some people treat militaria like old cars and feel the need to fully restore it to it's original look by completely refinishing, adding new upholstry, new tires, new engine, etc.

Militaria should not be restored like old cars, it's OK to leave militaria in relic or as found condition

I love this website, so fun to browse and a ton of information at your fingertips. I have my collection because of my dad so I have him to thank which is why I wanted to fix his helmet but if I can't find a cheap original liner I wouldn't bother.. We bargain hunt yard and estate sales weekly so hopefully I will find some great stuff this season I definitely will post on the forum if I find anything cool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2