Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Fiber parade helmet ID please.

Article about: I'm not sure if this is the right location for this thread but figured I'd give it a shot. These helmets are coming up for sale at an auction near me tomorrow night and I was wondering if an

Default Fiber parade helmet ID please.

I'm not sure if this is the right location for this thread but figured I'd give it a shot. These helmets are coming up for sale at an auction near me tomorrow night and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the symbol on the side of the fiber helmet. It doesn't look like any I have seen before and I am not very versed in the use of the fiber helmets. Could it be the shield of a city? Only pic I have.
    Fiber parade helmet ID please.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fiber parade helmet ID please.
    P
    Many

Hi it looks like a Bulgarian decal to me

?

Yup,thats a Bulgarian decal.

If you are asking about the helmet on the bottom left of the photo, it is a German one piece steel gladiator shell, issued to Bulgarian Luftschutz personnel. It has period correct paint and the Bulgarian shield is also right. With a nice liner and chin strap these go for about $150 - $175. The helmet on the bottom right looks like it is an Italian shell, but I don't know anything about Italian helmets so I can't comment on the originality of the paint or stenciled insignia. The top helmet is Swiss. It is an M18 style shell, but whether it is post WWII depends on whether the liner band goes all the way around the circumference of the shell (making it a true M18 helmet) or has a break at the rear making it a post war piece. Post war examples with full liner/chinstrap assemblies are worth about $15-$20, and the M18's are worth about $40-$50. From the look of the paint on this one I think it is a post war example, very common and not very valuable.

Wow awesome guys. I guess I was pretty off on my ID as a fiber. Great job on the ID of the M18 and thanks for the pricing info helmet2id. The Bulgarian Luftschutz had a full liner, partially damaged decal, and I think a replacement chinstrap. It was a thin leather with a simple buckle I wouldn't expect to see on an issued helmet. I lost out on it at full value to my competition. The Swiss M18 was a post war with liner and went higher than it should have. The Italian M33 ended up being a repaint with a fasces sticker and full liner. It also went above retail for what it was.

Thanks again
    Matt

A thin leather chinstrap might be perfectly OK for that type of helmet (the Bulgarian one). That shell had many styles of liner / straps in fact, and crappy quality was common. Even plastic chinstraps are found on this type.

I'll definitely being storing that in my memory bank. The only other quick example I could find was one that sold on ebay w/ a nicer chinstrap and roller buckle. I actually ran into the helmet again as my competition was a dealer at a local gun show. He has placed a sticker on the forehead asking $295 and has a piece of paper taped above the decal stating it is possibly Latvian. Here I was thinking I should have placed at least one more bid for what would have been my first gladiator. But with a price tag of $295 I would have never won.

Thanks for helping me save $$$ for other parts of my collection.
    Matt