Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?

Article about: According to the dealer this is a German civic vulcanised fiber helmet from the era 1933-1945. The fact that it (if his is right) is not a light metal helmet makes me think that this is a po

Default German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?

According to the dealer this is a German civic vulcanised fiber helmet from the era 1933-1945. The fact that it (if his is right) is not a light metal helmet makes me think that this is a post war German helmet. I thought that all German civic helmet from that era were light metal ? On the liner there is a stamp of the manufacturer is 'Robert Lubstein (Erel)'
    Thanks in advance !
    Attached Images Attached Images German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?
    P
    Many

Looks post war to me , photos are tiny Erwin.
    There are original fibreglass WW2 helmets , post war fibre helmets used by the DDR are often misrepresented as WW2 and some still made by wartime producer Lubstein.
    Not an expert on these so Jim , Basti , Donald will correct me if I am wrong.

The civic helmets were commercially produced so there are differences in material used , aluminium , steel , edelstahl. Weights will vary.

Thanks Frank. It's a kind of civic helmet not quite often sold as 'German ww2 helmet' , so it looked suspicious to me, especially as it seems to be a vulcanised fiber helmet. It is also sold for a low price (60 euro) although very complete. Best I could do with the pictures as also this time I had to download the pictures from a commercial site. Only for detail purposes I give the website, although I know it will expire :
    Hoofddeksels - Military memorabilia! Fair prices, good quality!

Hello, Frank is right, the pictured helm is a post-war fiberhelm produced by Robt Lubestein following the close of WW2 for DDR fire service personnel. There were three or four designs of these I believe each having some slight differences in the shell configurations. An easy way to ID these is the lower quality leather composing the strap and the liner, the inside rim banding (every war time fiberhelm that I've seen has a ribbed band as opposed to smooth surface in the neck guard section) and typically the screened mesh of the vents is more coarse vs those of war-time manufacture.

Nice to see you here @Donald L!!

Thanks 'Donald'.....Would be really interesting to put wartime and postwar next to each other in pictures to see these differences, but of coarse someone has to have these two in their posession. These differences are just for fiberhelmets ?

Here is a TR vintage Vulkanfibre helmet. The liner is what you expect - no dome pad and the silver maker stamps over the ears of the wearer. The shapes of the shells are different, and easy to see when you have seen a few examples, but the easiest way to tell a TR vintage helmet from a post war is the metal rim on the edges of the apron. The rims on post war helmets are flat, on TR vintage helmets the rims are beaded. Jim G.

PS: I have included pictures of the decals from my helmet because they are interesting. The tri color is one of the rare early examples. Pictures of this style tri color are in the Baer bible. . I have an early Heer transitional with the identical decal. The bird is a MIRROR Adler, and is, I believe, of Austrian manufacture, as it is a HAIRY BIRD. I know of one other helmet of this exact configuration, which I have held "in hand." It is in Al B.'s collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?   German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  

German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?   German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  

German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?   German civic helmet vulcanised fiber in stead of light metal ?  

You're very welcome. I have one of these DDR fire helms, I'll have to look for it and then can provide images comparing key areas of construction of the model that I have vs NS era VF helms.

Thank you Andy!

-Regards,
    Don

It is the 2nd model of the post-war production of the Robert Lubstein company. If you fold the leather over, you will often find the year of manufacture stamped in large letters. Should M.D.I. If it is stamped, it is a helmet from a GDR professional fire department. Mario