Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German M42 helmet

Article about: Hey guys I think I’ve decided that I’m going to get this helmet everything checks the boxes for me so far just want to make sure I get the go ahead from you guys. Also this helmet comes with

Hi Giants. Good idea really. I would not steer you wrong. The helmet might be original...but it's colors are non standard & that is an issue. If you search for a camo, try to look for one with period ordnance red, tan, green. At least you have a better chance with those, just my thoughts.
    D.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M42 helmet
    P
    Many

Good advice there from the members.

MAP
    ?

OK....I will add my two cents. Late to the game as I've been really busy the last few days and haven't really been around.

I'm the odd man out, but I like the pattern. It's odd/funky with some unique colors.

But, the photos are extremely sub par. No way to form an opinion on originality. Clear, crisp high resolution photos with some high quality close up macro shots of key areas (vents, rivets, edges, scratches/chips) are a must.

That said, As others have said in the past, Camo's need a strong consensus of opinions on originality in order for it to be accepted by the collectors community. Even if the community is wrong (rare as if enough knowledgeable collectors review it, someone is bound to spot a flaw), the helmet will be deemed as questionable and thus hard to impossible to sell in the future.

So David's advice is very wise. If you plan on taking the camo plunge, start with a simple and recognized pattern. With the proper photos the camo can be judged on originality and you don't need to go the extra step and try to convince others on the funky pattern.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Giants ... Unlike Myself and Real Steel who are at the later years of collecting ( Age wise ) You have just really started collecting Helmets and already you are willing to pay a fortune for a Camo ... with a worthless CoA issued by a Dealer who in his opinion is 100% genuine and period painted.
    I agree with Real Steel get a really nice Heer,Luft or Police ... never mind if it's an M35,40,42 or even a 16,34 ... Leave the SS alone as that's another ball game.
    You've got plenty of time to build up your collection, with quality rather than tatty quantity.

You've received some solid advice from some very knowledgeable members here. Although there's nothing stopping you from diving into the world of camouflage helmets right off the bat, it should be noted that - as with anything in the high-value spectrum of militaria - it is an absolute minefield. Fakers have had decades to perfect their methods and tactics, and as a consequence camo lids can be very hard to authenticate even when clear photographs are forthcoming. Much like SS helmets, there are some who choose to avoid this field completely rather than run the risk of getting burned.

For the price of a camo helmet, you could get yourself a top end Heer double decal, which are much easier to authenticate and much 'safer' in terms of investment and resale value. With the help of the experts here, you could nail down one of those fairly easily.

Understand that none of us are telling you that you can't go after camouflage helmets. Just that it isn't advisable when you're fairly new to this field of collecting. As said previously, there are some veteran helmet collectors who avoid them entirely. In nine cases out of ten, you can never be one hundred percent sure. And if you can never be one hundred percent sure, you can never be one hundred percent happy with it sitting on your shelf.

Do yourself a massive favour, and go after something more 'bog standard' to begin with. It'll form a nice basis for your collection, and you'll be much more satisfied with your purchase.

Regards, B.B.

Sorry, but I don't like this M42 at all, the outer base colour looks far too glossy for my liking and it looks like a pale blue colour, the tan overpaint does not look contemporary to the rest of it. It has been far too messed about with and as said a COA is not a guarantee of originality. Anyone can give you that and it means very little. You do well to pass on this. There are much better originals about.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Sorry, but I don't like this M42 at all, the outer base colour looks far too glossy for my liking and it looks like a pale blue colour, the tan overpaint does not look contemporary to the rest of it. It has been far too messed about with and as said a COA is not a guarantee of originality. Anyone can give you that and it means very little. You do well to pass on this. There are much better originals about.
    Agree...has me scratching my head wondering what theatre of operation would require blue & orange camo

Quote by real steel View Post
    Agree...has me scratching my head wondering what theatre of operation would require blue & orange camo
    Well I nearly suggested he tried wearing it in the dark as I'm sure that blue is actually luminous!

I agree and trust you guys 100% so I’m looking at a luftwaffe DD. And a Heer apple green DD I’ll post them later on today but I’m liking the Apple green m35 look I’d have to pay a pretty penny for it but like I said I want y’alls approval before even considering a purchase.

Here is a link to the original ad from the website:

Archives for March 2017 | HELMETS OF WAR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast