Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

helmet liner good or bad

Article about: hi all thanks your opinion on this liner

?

Default helmet liner good or bad

hi all thanks your opinion on this liner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture helmet liner good or bad   helmet liner good or bad  

helmet liner good or bad   helmet liner good or bad  

helmet liner good or bad  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement helmet liner good or bad
    P
    Many

1938 dated liners are rare. Yours looks to be the re-enforced type and has the square D rings. It should have an ink stamp on back side of the leather (facing the dome). Yours doesn't have that stamp. also the corrosion on the liner looks chemically induced, and its not on the back side of the band, yet the band is stained. Also the stains on the leather look like they are chemical stains and not age. I am no expert, I haven't been collecting helmets in over 10 years and there are much much better people who can identify these things better. I just saw a couple of red flags. Again I am basically new to helmet collecting because everything I thought I knew when I started 25 years ago went out the door with the advanced techniques today. I'm basically a rookie again.

I'm a bit late to the party.
    But looking at each component individually they all check out, the leather has some weird staining to it, that is true, the ink size stamp has the font I would expect for B&C.
    I wouldn't say 1938 liners are scarce in particular.
    Though all pre war alu (and reinforced) liners are sometimes hard to find.
    The liner band has all the characteristics I'd expect it to have, so does the inner ring and the felt on the leather is also the sort of brown felt I have seen with some pre war liners.
    I have yet to see a fake 1938 B&C liner, the usual ones are Schuberth and they are easy to spot (maker marking way too small and other details about how the liner band is constructed are off)
    Also, the leather looks like it ought to be goat leather and not pig leather or cow leather as is commonly used on fakes.

One detail you should check is on the inner ring, there should be a size marking on the 9 or 3 o' clock position (or where the chinstrap bales are) which should read 64/57

I am still partly on the fence about it but so far nothing jumps out at me besides the discoloration of the leather.

Luis

P.S. one more thing to add, the leaf springs are correctly painted from what I can see, another thing I have yet to see any repro do.

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party.
    But looking at each component individually they all check out, the leather has some weird staining to it, that is true, the ink size stamp has the font I would expect for B&C.
    I wouldn't say 1938 liners are scarce in particular.
    Though all pre war alu (and reinforced) liners are sometimes hard to find.
    The liner band has all the characteristics I'd expect it to have, so does the inner ring and the felt on the leather is also the sort of brown felt I have seen with some pre war liners.
    I have yet to see a fake 1938 B&C liner, the usual ones are Schuberth and they are easy to spot (maker marking way too small and other details about how the liner band is constructed are off)
    Also, the leather looks like it ought to be goat leather and not pig leather or cow leather as is commonly used on fakes.

One detail you should check is on the inner ring, there should be a size marking on the 9 or 3 o' clock position (or where the chinstrap bales are) which should read 64/57

I am still partly on the fence about it but so far nothing jumps out at me besides the discoloration of the leather.

Luis

P.S. one more thing to add, the leaf springs are correctly painted from what I can see, another thing I have yet to see any repro do.
    Thanks for elaborating a bit more. I would never have made a solid conclusion based on what I knew then vs What I know now on this liner (which is why I didn't). I just went with what I have learned so far and what I saw as areas that were what I saw as "things" I noticed that were strange but those who are more experienced had a definitive opinion should be more apt to judge.
    lol guess I should have stayed quiet on this one.

MAP
    ?

......One detail you should check is on the inner ring, there should be a size marking on the 9 or 3 o' clock position (or where the chinstrap bales are) which should read 64/57....
    3rd photo from top

Agree though, liner looks ok
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    3rd photo from top

Agree though, liner looks ok
    I don't mean that marking, I mean on the inner ring ( the one the leather is affixed to), B&C always had markings like 64/57 there whereas for example Schuberth just had the size (e.g. "57") marked on there.

Luis

MAP
    ?

I don't mean that marking, I mean on the inner ring ( the one the leather is affixed to), B&C always had markings like 64/57 there whereas for example Schuberth just had the size (e.g. "57") marked on there.

Luis
    No worries. You have eagle eyes normally. In photo #3, it says "64 n.a. / 57"
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

To clarify, this is the marking I'm talking about, also from a pre war B&C liner.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture helmet liner good or bad  

?

hi thanks all for your comments the only marking on the inner ring i found is number 57helmet liner good or bad