Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet NS86/ D 315

Article about: Hi Forum I have just got this helmet, Is it a M42 ?, I have looked NS op and it is Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke, what is D 315, SC on the leather. All ID/ comments are welcome D315 at the

Default Helmet NS86/ D 315

Hi Forum
    I have just got this helmet, Is it a M42 ?, I have looked NS op and it is Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke, what is D 315, SC on the leather. All ID/ comments are welcome

D315 at the innerside
    NS 86 at the neck inside (Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke)
    SC on the leather
    60 on the leather (must be size)

Regards
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet NS86/ D 315   Helmet NS86/ D 315  

Helmet NS86/ D 315   Helmet NS86/ D 315  

Helmet NS86/ D 315  
    Attached Images Attached Images Helmet NS86/ D 315 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet NS86/ D 315
    P
    Many

Another post war reissued Czech Helmet John.

NS66, not 86!!! .....That would be a VERY BIG head!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Another post war reissued Czech Helmet John.

NS66, not 86!!! .....That would be a VERY BIG head!!
    The German Army was known to have 3 or 4 "Giants" ala Game of Thrones so that would check out

Something to this effect

Helmet NS86/ D 315

The person your talking about Paddy is probably Jacob Nacken, the tallest soldier of the german Army at seven feet three inches!
    Helmet NS86/ D 315

Back to the original topic. I agree. That looks like a nice M42 shell which was reissued by the czech!

So, it is a reissued Czech Helmet, do we agree that NS is Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke in Schwerte, 66 is the size, and what about D315. What does indicate that it is a Czech postwar Helmet, and if so, did the Czech army wear german wwii styled helmets after the war ?

Quote by johnschou View Post
    So, it is a reissued Czech Helmet, do we agree that NS is Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke in Schwerte, 66 is the size, and what about D315. What does indicate that it is a Czech postwar Helmet, and if so, did the Czech army wear german wwii styled helmets after the war ?
    Yes ... Many counttries reissued and re used German Helmets after the war due to low supplies and resources of almost everything. Im with the above comments that its a Czech Liner and Recycled helmet. And Yes .. Its an NS manufactured German helmet at its core and previous life.
    Z

Thank you for your help, my question is if it is a German helmet (produced at Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke in Schwerte) used in Czech after the war, it cannot be made in Czech if it is made in Germany at Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke in Schwerte ? So this helmet must be reused as you state, but how can we see that it is used in the Czech or not in a another country (just after the war the German helmets were also used in Denmark in a periode), I am I bit puzzled ?

John,
    The D series shells were made from August 1942 to the war's end.
    Brian Ice's lot number book ( only one of several available references ) lists 2 other D315 helmets - a Luft and a Heer but as August was the 'Decal drop' period, they probably never had one. It was definitely made during the period, just stripped post war, painted and reissued. I said Czech because these are generally accepted to be such. I lifted the below from an auction site description of one such helmet.....

After WW2, mostly during the cold was of the 50's the Czech government needed helmets to keep in reserve for civil defense emergencies. Since right after the war there were many German helmet shells around the decision was made to use the helmets and refurbish them. In the 1950's the shells were stripped of their wartime paint and given a coat of black paint, sometimes with primer over the bare metal. Black paint was used since it is the color of civil defense. Then depending on the need the original liner was kept or a cheap simple replacement liner was installed. several types of helmets were used for civil defense purposes and German WW2 helmets were common. Since the helmet was stripped to the metal there is no WW2 era paint.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you, that´s is a nice explanation, I know that the German helmets were stripped from decals, original paint, and "refurbished", it is the phrase Czech and it shold be a Czech model. I have a helmet that look a bit like this one I have posted, and it also comes here from Denmark. So indicating that these Czech models should have travelled to Denmark after the war is unlikely, there were at lot of helmets after the war from Norway, Germany etc, so the phrase Czech, is simply to indicate it is "refurbished", one could use another country name to incidate that is has been repainted, and actually not the country where it has been produced. Calling it a Czech model is in a way misleading?

The helmet you show has a Czech liner/stamp, so it was refurbished and used by the Czechs.

Different countries that used German helmets after the war did different things to them, they had different liners and different methods of painting them, or modifying the liners etc. So you will see the phrase Czech reissue helmet, Norwegian reissue helmet etc. It’s just a term to say where the helmet was used post war.

A good example is this thread which shows what the Norwegians did with their reissued German helmets,

Norwegian reissue former KM Model 1940

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast