Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying a German WW2 helmet

Article about: Hi everyone, I'm asking for help to identify one of my three helmets (I have a couple of other threads elsewhere on this forum in, hopefully, their appropriate subforums asking the same thin

Default Help identifying a German WW2 helmet

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for help to identify one of my three helmets (I have a couple of other threads elsewhere on this forum in, hopefully, their appropriate subforums asking the same thing).

I bought this helmet in about 2012 at an antique dealer in Tasmania, Australia. I have looked online and I think it's an M38, M40 or M42 on account of the rim in turned in and the vents seem to be punched in rather than separately inserted. The liner I was told is a reproduction, but the chinstrap is marked 1940. I'd like confirmation or correction from you as this was not a hobby I went into fully as many of you have.

All help is appreciated as I am looking to sell this soon if it's going to be worthwhile. Any thoughts on what it's worth?

Help identifying a German WW2 helmetHelp identifying a German WW2 helmetHelp identifying a German WW2 helmetHelp identifying a German WW2 helmetHelp identifying a German WW2 helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying a German WW2 helmet
    P
    Many

Good to see a fellow Tasmanian.

Looks to be a M40 with a reproduction Liner and chin strap. Condition is certainly not good but if you're happy.
    Value isn't something that's discussed on this website as its subjective. Condition of this helmet though puts it in the low range.

Am not a expert so there might be someone who can further assist with your helmet.

Agree with the above.
    Also if the yellow paint extends under the leather I doubt the paint is wartime.

Hi, Jimmy. We've probably crossed paths before, you know how small this place is...!

I agree, it's not in great condition, and this is not a hobby I want to pursue anymore as there are other things I'd rather do. Maybe best to offer it for sale and see what happens.