Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: Is this authentic pre war or wartime or post war repro?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • pre or wartime

0 0%
  • Postwar

1 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help - please I'm trying.

Article about: I've been watching videos and reading through this forum but I don't trust myself and I'm asking for help. I think the breather hole is ok on this and I'm becoming more comfortable with the

Default Help - please I'm trying.

I've been watching videos and reading through this forum but I don't trust myself and I'm asking for help. I think the breather hole is ok on this and I'm becoming more comfortable with the fact the button has chrome on it but should the lip around the brim have more of a roundness to it? And is the taper not flared out enough in the back seems like it drops to fast and doesn't protrude out enough. Thoughts on the decal? I know I'm asking a lot from one photo but this is all I have to work with for now~
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help - please I'm trying.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help - please I'm trying.
    P
    Many

?

Hello, this picture is not good enough to evaluate the decal. The "breather hole" is called a vent and the "button" is called a split pin. It's not unusual for the split pin to have been replaced or as in most cases the paint is just worn out because it protrudes. The "brim" is called a rim and on m35's and m40's it's rounded or rolled but on m42's it's flared like the one in the photo appears to be. Try to get some more closeups of the helmet, decal, and liner. if the seller is not willing to provide them then you're better off moving onto another helmet. You need to be patient and less impulsive but I know it's difficult when you really want to buy something. I know, I've been there myself. This forum can really help you out but you have to give us a little more to work with. There are a lot of helmet guys who can provide you more information.

Good luck, Al

Thanks, appreciate it. Will try to better my terminology. The body style does look most like a 42. It will be awhile before I can get better photos so I'm just trying to find out what I can before I meet with him so I'm saying things like breather hole :/ lol

Hi AlphaWolfe,

As stated already, high res closeup images of the decal and overall helmet shell are required to assess an item such as this. Also photos of the liner, lot number and the makers mark.

Looks to be an original M42 shell the liner pin head not having paint is not necessarily an issue as being a high point on the outside of the shell would have rubbed on things quite often.

While you are waiting for images have a look at member Schwerpunkts's website with which you can familiarize yourself with the terminology and lots of other information.

German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets

And always post here first for an evaluation prior to purchase as it might just save you a lot of money. The members here will be more than happy to assist you.

Andrew

Agree the photo isn't enough to make a good judgement upon the decal, which itself looks a bit "ghostly" for my liking. Chances are it is a good 1942 shell, but the Luftwaffe decal on a shell this colour is suspicious to me.

To me the graphics of the bird look WAY OFF even with these P*** POOR pictures. I wouldn't waste time on this one, there are plenty of affordable SD Luft lids out there. My advice, keep looking. Jim G.

TWS
    ?

To sum up: The quality of photos is directly related to the quality of any evaluation by members.

That having been said, I agree with with Jim G. Bird looks dodgy even in that one poor photo.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll be able to post a bunch of pictures tomorrow. So nice to see such an active forum!!!!

Default Additional photos

Help - please I'm trying.Help - please I'm trying.Help - please I'm trying.Help - please I'm trying.Help - please I'm trying.

says he purchased from ruptured duck in 2013 for $625 is that believable?

Quote by AlphaWolfe View Post
    says he purchased from ruptured duck in 2013 for $625 is that believable?
    Hand painted eagle "decal", I doubt it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast