Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe helmet M40 original???

Article about: Hi everyone, I got an offer on a M40 LW helmet. It looks nice but maybe someone can take a look on the decal. It's worn of so hard for me to tell if it's original. I did ask for more detaile

Default Luftwaffe helmet M40 original???

Hi everyone,

I got an offer on a M40 LW helmet. It looks nice but maybe someone can take a look on the decal. It's worn of so hard for me to tell if it's original. I did ask for more detailed photo's but a first impression is mostly a good one.

Thx and cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe helmet M40 original???
    P
    Many

Shell is good, liner and paint probably too, but i am unsure about the decal, in any case i think the helmet has been heavily scrubbed, resulting in the way the decal looks now. Nothing i would consider buying unless very cheap.

It's wise to ask decal close-ups.

A scrubbed decal, where it doesn't appear the paint has also been scrubbed, suggests an attempt to disguise a fake decal.

I got some extra photo's. Does not give me extra info. I also put in some other this dealer is offering. One was used as shovel on a farm I think. All LW. For the relic ones he asks 190,- euro and the complete one 490,- euro. What do you think; acceptable?

I asked the guy again for a close up photo of the decal.

Paul

Now the other more relic helmets. First the ex-shovel.

The other one

Maybe I like these even more.

Better spend money on quality than bargains.

Personally i like the relic ones, especially the second one would make good on a shelf, looks more like a barn- then a groundfound. If you would get it for 150 i would consider it.

The decal has no detail, unlike like any original I have seen,I would pass on itJMO

I think I'll go for the relic / barnfinds. They appealing to me. And have nice patina. They're local Italy finds. Used in the near Bologna. Probably the former owner s were part of the 19th and 20th Luftwaffe Field Divisions (LFD).

In June 1944, the 19th LFD was ordered to move to Italy, where it entered defense duty at Livorno(Leghorn) under the XIV Panzer Corps. The 19th & 20th LFD were placed in the FRIEDA Line on the right flank of the XIV Army near Piombino. The 19th LFD fought fierce rear-guard battles near Castagneto and Monteverdi. The US 36th “Texas” Infantry Division launched an attack on 24 June that crossed the Ombrone River and advanced to Montepescali. The 19 LFD escaped along the coastal Highway 1. On June 25th, the US 34th “Red Bull” Infantry Division replaced the 36th ID and continued to advance 15 miles to Highway 68.

The 20th LFD arrived in Italy in May 1944. By July it was providing coastal defense and anti-partisan force at Lucca with the bulk of the forces between Viareggio and La Spezia. On 12th of September, commander Major-General Wilhelm Crisolli was killed by partisans. Colonel Kasper Volcker assumed command but 2 months later he was captured. Soon after that the division was ordered to the X Army at the Adriatic coast where its 39th and 40th Jager Regiments were assigned to the 26 Panzer Division and the supporting units divided among the 29 & 90th Panzer Grenadier Divisions. On November 8, 1944, the order was given to disband the division.

Before they were an occupation force in Denmark and Holland in 1943. So this explains my interest. The owner could have walked in my street.

Cheers Paul
    Last edited by Irish1965; 11-27-2020 at 09:35 AM.