Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe M40 - Originality check

Article about: Thanks Schwerpunkt, I've listened and instead of getting a nice DD or something similar that's been messed with I'm going to get a 100% original lid! Only downside I see of this one is the s

Haha, I didn’t think about it that way. I see a nice green double decal m35 with a good tricolour and yes a slightly messed up eagle but as it’s 80% cheaper than mint one thought it would still be a nice piece to have. A green m35 DD is definitely my dream lid.

Which is nicer out of the two lufts to collect the m35 or m40? Same price

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe M40 - Originality check
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Quote by Liamc93 View Post
    Haha, I didn’t think about it that way. I see a nice green double decal m35 with a good tricolour and yes a slightly messed up eagle but as it’s 80% cheaper than mint one thought it would still be a nice piece to have. A green m35 DD is definitely my dream lid.

Which is nicer out of the two lufts to collect the m35 or m40? Same price
    Hi Liam,

By "green" helmet do you mean an Army (Heer) example?

I understand you are trying to choose between two helmets, but I advise creating a separate thread for each helmet for clarity. Threads in which a poster is trying to get input on multiple items almost always result in some confusion over which comment is about which item.

I would recommend studying Frank's website and arming yourself with a couple helmet books. I believe we have a thread/section on recommended reference literature. However, you are doing the right thing by posting here before buying.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Ah okay sorry. Annoyingly I found those other 2 helmets I liked the look of after I posted this. At that time I was set on just deciding on the original m40.

My dream helmet is a DD green heer m35 but nothing on how expensive they are I am going to settle for a m40 SD or M35 (the one with tricolour removed) that’s affordable. I believe the two Luftwaffe helmets are of similar standing in terms of originality and quality and same price so it’s more of a decision to help which is the better on or whether I get my dream helmet in poorer condition (the heer green m35)

Hi Liam,

You're trying to task other collectors with creating your collection. I firmly believe that's a bad way to go about your collection.
    But if I must ... For some reason unknown to me, your wet dream is a mint or near mint Heer DD M35. I don't have any such dreams, but if I did, I would probably save the money up for one in stead of settling with choosing something else.

Regards and happy collecting
    Jesper

I was just going to say, save your money for the helmet you really want! Regards Paul

Thanks all, forget about the M35 I think as you've said that's my decision to make whether I want it. Last one! Can I ask, as a beginner wanting his first original helmet which of these two would be the best in terms of rarity and collect ability?

M35 (top) very good condition, tricolour removed as per regs, well worn with paint loss and full chin strap

M40 (bottom) - really good condition not much wear on paint, quite worn liner but persons name on helmet and liner (quite cool )and broken strap.

I've learned a lot about helmets but am stumped on this one. I like them both. Both are nice 66's too. The only thing that I wasn't sure on the bottom M40 is that the lot number in Brian Ice's book didn't match? (i posted this earlier) so would be good to confirm as it is fitting into the heer batch numbers... I think (still learning)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe M40 - Originality check  

M38
    ?

A lot of this is personal preference. My personal preference is always M35's over anything else, and decent liners over damaged liners. But it has to be your choice as to what will make you the happiest. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Terry

Thanks, the M40 is seeming more appealing to me at the moment as I have a nice M35 DD LW (missing most of eagle) but the lot number mismatch is offputting unless there is an obvious reason for it. The number is 603 and it's a LW, not heer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe M40 - Originality check  

Quote by Liamc93 View Post
    Thanks, the M40 is seeming more appealing to me at the moment as I have a nice M35 DD LW (missing most of eagle) but the lot number mismatch is offputting unless there is an obvious reason for it. The number is 603 and it's a LW, not heer
    You should not use the lot number list like that , your logic is wrong. A lot nr cannot be a mismatch , there were millions of helmets made and in a list you will find not even 1% of them. Lot nr xxx can be Heer , Lw , etc
    A lotnr being in a list or not should not play a part in your purchase decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2