Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe M42, ckl66 - weird decal for review

Article about: Hello friends, Today I have this nice Luftwaffe M42 to show you. I quite like it - marked ckl66 2898, nice single-layer factory rough paint, no repaints that I can see, a 1943 dated liner -

?

Default Luftwaffe M42, ckl66 - weird decal for review

Hello friends,

Today I have this nice Luftwaffe M42 to show you. I quite like it - marked ckl66 2898, nice single-layer factory rough paint, no repaints that I can see, a 1943 dated liner - but I have a question on the decal. Although its patina and overall impression seem good, that right wing looks weird: it lacks the nice upward sweeping curve seen on the other, and is somewhat banana shaped (I thus christen it the 'banana-wing' variant). I haven't found anything like it for reference. Could it be an application error? Close inspections shows some skewing of the feather lines that might indicate this. Or is it just a bad one, obviously so? There seems to be so many variations on decals, application errors, etc. that I don't know what to think.

Also the chin-strap appears to be from a civic helmet liner, though it is riveted permanently to the right bale (which is broken/deformed) and the rivet seems quite old. I assume it is a post-war addition, but perhaps...?

Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe M42, ckl66 - weird decal for review
    P
    Many

Very nice helmet, especially like that it has the domestamp!
    Looks like a good but slightly missaplied decal to me. The chinstrap looks indeed like a civil one... hard to say how it came to be on this helmet, field replacement? Added Post war by someone having no idea what a real chinstrap looks like?

?

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Added Post war by someone having no idea what a real chinstrap looks like?
    My first assumption, but who knows?

The wing of the decal is just badly applied , it happened. I also like the non standard chinstrap (it happened too) , the wear of the strap (D ring photo) looks commensurate with that area.

?

Good to hear

TWS
    ?

I like Frank's reply.

I have a Heer DD M35 with a non-standard chinstrap that is riveted - and it came directly from a U.S. veteran's family.

Luftwaffe M42, ckl66 - weird decal for reviewLuftwaffe M42, ckl66 - weird decal for review
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."