Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe single decal helmet

Article about: This arrived today, Luftwaffe single decal M40. Traces of black paint, named crudely in yellow paint. There is a hole in the back of the helmet on the skirt which I have not seen before. Can

Default Luftwaffe single decal helmet

This arrived today, Luftwaffe single decal M40. Traces of black paint, named crudely in yellow paint. There is a hole in the back of the helmet on the skirt which I have not seen before.

Can anyone tell me any more about this helmet? The liner seems very small - almost child size.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe single decal helmet
    P
    Many

I think this one has started out as a lighter Luft blue/grey and has received a darker overpaint which has in turn darkened over time with patina. You can see the lighter shade inside the dome. Might also have had a whitewash at some stage judging by what looks like remnants of wash around the liner pins.

It’s obviously not been stored very well which may account for the liner which appears to have shrunken somewhat. How do the liner pins look? Are they tight and are there any double bends?
    We can only conjecture as to the purpose of the hole. Most likely added post war for some reason - perhaps simply to hang the helmet for display!

An interesting helmet nonetheless.
    Andy

MAP
    ?

Agree. Hole was probably added post war to hang it or something.

The liner looks like someone at one point in time thought it would be a good idea to treat it with something. Causing it to shrink and what looks like very dry and brittle.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)