Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage

Article about: I have had this one for over 20 years - an Imperial M18 Ear Cut Out - an ET64 - complete with the original factory installed M18 lier with the white pads, and a period (interwar period!) ins

Default M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage

I have had this one for over 20 years - an Imperial M18 Ear Cut Out - an ET64 - complete with the original factory installed M18 liner with the white pads, and a period (interwar period!) installed chin strap. Upon close examination it is clear that at one point it had a camo finish, remnants of the camo paint can be seen on the apex of each cut out. Another interesting feature is the repair work apparent at the top of the shell. There are 2 repairs. The holes that were repaired are consistent with pick axe damage, and I believe that this helmet was, in fact, intentionally de-militarized after the Great War in accordance with the provisions of the Treaty of Versailles. Naturally, I can't find the picture of the Old Man pick axing WWI German helmets, but I have included some pictures of a WWI camo with obvious pick axe damage for comparison. This one appears to have been repaired, refitted with a new chin strap, and reissued, perhaps for use by a Freikorps Paramilitary soldier. This helmet would have a real story to tell. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage   M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage  

M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage   M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage
    P
    Many

Helmets were tough to come across post WW1,like everything else. So I could imagine logically this being repaired for as you say, for para military use.

CBH
    ?

I believe I've seen a photo of the pickaxing of WWI helmets on this forum somewhere , great helmet with lots of history.

Great lid.

That photo is on the forum somewhere.....
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A great story telling helmet Jim, I to have seen that image here in the past, but where it is I have no idea! Leon.

Is this the pick in question? Couldn't download but took a screenshot which should suffice. The helmet just to the left of his pick looks almost like it has a square dip visor and perhaps a camo underneath OR could just be wishful thinking. M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage
    Below is a thread where it was referenced previously:
    ww1 helmet

Thanks Andy, that is the picture I was thinking about. Jim G.

CBH
    ?

Thats the one, thanks for finding it. It completes the story, nicely.

Interesting helmet made unique by the obvious repair. These odd M18 "ear cut out' models were used quite late. Here is a photo from December 1941, New Zealand soldiers at their Egypt base fooling around with their helmet souvenirs. Note the middle one.

The one in the middle is not unlike this one! Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage   M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage