Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M18 German Transitional helmet

Article about: I also have What I believe to be an M18 German Transitional helmet. Not WWI. If I'm wrong please correct me. It has a very dark green colour, but when you hold a torch on it the green turns

Default M18 German Transitional helmet

I also have What I believe to be an M18 German Transitional helmet. Not WWI. If I'm wrong please
    correct me.

It has a very dark green colour, but when you hold a torch on it the green turns to a lighter green.

The paint seams to be original throughout. It has the maker ET. 64 Esienwerke Krupp Stahl
    But I couldn't find any numbers on the rear of the helmet.

No signs of decals not even under the paint.

I have an original aluminium liner band, complete except leather from:

DRP = The German Reichs Party
    Schuberth Werke
    K-G.
    Braunschweig

I think this will fit perfect for this helmet

Just another to share.

Regards
    skip

M18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 German Transitional helmet
    P
    Many

Last edited by AndyM35; 01-27-2022 at 08:03 PM.

M38
    ?

I agree with Andy, we need much better close up pictures of the paint. It could be 1930's paint or 1918 paint. Looks rubbed or cleaned either way.

What is the marking on the other side of your liner band? If it is n.A.64/56 or 57 then it probably won't fit. If it is a.A.64 or n.a.62 it probably will fit.

Cheers,
    Terry

Greetings AndyM35,

First of all I wish to thank you for your statement, It was very helpfull.

I have made some closer photos of this helmet, it's the best this digi camera will do. I hope it will help you further.

I had a better look at the vent lugs were the "forehead plate" was attached to. The vent lugs appear
    to be made of brass, but I'm not certain due to the ageing and dis-colouring , I don't want to start scratching on
    the lugs to find out. it seams as if the vents actually had seen heavy use.

You can see the lighter green with the flash of the camera, almost like apple green. it did the same with my
    torch - flashlight.

I have just now discovered a new number BD 654. This number is centred in the middle inside the crown of the helmet.
    I didn't see it due to wear in this area.

I will also post pics of the inner and outer head liner. No, the head liner didn't come with the helmet. I've had it at least
    20 years, waiting for the right helmet. The liner fits as if it was made for it.
    The helmet is a recent purchase. The leather is self made. I didn't have better leather
    back 20 years ago, but that is easy swapped out.

Thank you for your time.

Skip

M18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmetM18 German Transitional helmet

Last edited by AndyM35; 01-27-2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Typo.

MAP
    ?

Agree. Looks like WW1 paint and does look cleaned/lightly scrubbed.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Greetings Andy,

Thank you for your comments.

No, I cannot see any additional paint under the paint applied. I researched Becker-Krefeld in Willich Krefeld. but I could not find anything about the "D".
    I even went to the German sites "I speak, read and write German" but there too I could not find anything, but I'm not giving up as yet
    I will inform you when I do. He did have a sister Company as: Becker Steel Company of America in Charleston.

I know Krefeld well as Neuss, Moers, well the Niederrhein all together.

I did however find on the German site a PDF file all about the German helmets from WWI into present. It is however in German.
    It did mention Becker-Krefeld, but nothing about the "D". Maybe the site can be translated, it was very interesting. It is called
    Bavarian Army Museum, Steel helmets from First World War to present - Translated from 1984. Here is the link:

https://www.armeemuseum.de/images/pu...stahlhelme.pdf

I know Krefeld well as Neuss, Moers, well the Niederrhein all together.

I inserted my 1938 original liner, it fits perfect for this helmet and WWI liner rivets. I just have to get an original leather liner to swap out.

I just now found out looking at your reply icon that your located in Australia, I am an Aussie too.

You seam to have far more knowledge than I do. I posted a thread about an M42 African Corps helmet. I know pretty much for sure that the decals
    are incorrect reversed and crooked, As I first posted. Friendly thread posters gave me insight of the camouflage colour. I do see a different paint
    under this sand camo. I did not see this before as I thought the camo was legit. It appears to be a grayish colour.

Thank you for your insight

Skip

The leather of the liner looks recent or added. I guess creating Frankenstein helmets is your thing but if it were me I would spend all the effort on getting one decent helmet.

Greetings Schwerpunkt,

Usable for a new generation of soldiers helmets were repainted, and liners and chinstraps were re-worked.

M16 with an early M31 liner, such as produced in small numbers by Schuberth-werk in the early 1930s.
    Adopted by the army in November 1934. But it still caused significant problems. Schuberth-Werk had the
    designer and patent holder of the M31 liner. Amongst others of cause but he was the main carrier.

Alot of Transitional helmets M16 and M18 were also upgraded with the M31 liner. Some
    M18 helmets with an M38 nA "neuer art" or new model liner. I have not seen an M38 liner in an M16 helmet.

Werner Zahn who started producing liners in 1937 changed the problems of the M31 and was produced
    until 1940, which became to be known as M38 or 1938 liners. New changes were then made after that.
    It switched from aluminum to zinc plated steel. Schuberth-werk followed.

My original M38 liner fits perfect in this M18 helmet.

These Transitional helmets were also upgraded to the TR chinstrap. As to the buckle to be worn on the
    left per military orders.

The leather liner was secured with flat headed aluminium or steel split pins. Which is almost impossible to get.

So, no this is not a Frankenstein helmet. If I were to place false decal "s" and after marked chinstrap, then
    I would agree. In my second posting with pics I announced that "The leather is self made. I didn't have better leather
    back 20 years ago".

So said, every thing in this helmet is almost original. Can't find decent flat headed aluminium or steel split pins
    as yet. But when I do those will be swapped out as the leather liner and an original chinstrap, once I get a hold of originals.

There is no evidence that this helmet wasn't transformed into the TR. That's why it's called "transitional". Many WWI helmets
    were worn from beginning to throughout the war, due to fast expansion of the Wehrmacht. They couldn't keep up with
    production lines.

If I'm wrong with my statement above please correct me.

Regards
    Skip

M38
    ?

Mr Skip

Most of what you said is true but you are assuming your helmet is a transitional and there is really nothing to support that conclusion. Appearances would suggest a straight WWI helmet it seems. So you are making a leap of faith or maybe wishful thinking to call this a transitional.

BTW you are telling Frank things he already knows better than most. He is an accepted authority on pretty much everything to do with German helmets. Also, you do see steel banded liners sometime in M16 helmets but often with one size smaller liner than marked on the helmet shell.

I don't mean any of this to sound nasty but this is all helpful information to know I believe.

Cheers,
    Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast