MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M35 DD Luft Helmet

Article about: I just picked up my first Double Decal helmet at a local militaria show this weekend, Its a Quist M35 DD Luft and although its far from being in great shape I'm quite happy with it. If you l

Frank, I’d be interested to know your thoughts on the paint on the outside of the shell as it appears quite dark while the interior looks a bit more like a shade of field grey?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD Luft Helmet
    P
    Many

Looks to me as if it has a post factory coat of paint. Hard to tell but I think it is black. Many think black repainted Luft helmets were worn by flak gun crew personnel. The tri color may have been "liberated", but if so whoever did it did a pretty good job. A nice well used first DD helmet. Well done. I like it. Jim G.

Battle worn veteran. Jim is correct...been repainted inside & out post factory. I would assume the liner was removed at some point to make the repairs to the band. Even if not...one should expect loose split pins on a helmet with this type of what appears to be honest war time wear. One would expect to see some of the repaint splashed onto the liner band. I don't see that here, so maybe a replaced liner or when it was removed to do the re-paint, it was repaired at the same time.

Just a thought.

I like it.
    D.

MAP
    ?

Quote by chbingle View Post
    So I just checked the helmet a little closer. The washers are still on, one split pin is slightly loose but the other is still very tight, I’d like to check the liner band more but don’t want to risk further damaging the liner as it’s already in rather poor shape, if I notice anything else though I’ll be sure to follow up though
    Thanks. As already stated by Frank/David, loose isn't bad (especially with a vet like this) and it was probably taken out to be repaired at one point. I just wanted to see if it wasn't a post war swap.

Overall it has a good look to it and lots of stories to tease out of it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Just to avoid a misunderstanding , rivets do not have to be tight to the shell. loose is normal especially for a helmet which saw use.
    I like the helmet , but like to see a better photo of the tricolor to see of it used to sit under the paint or not.
    Here's a few better pictures of the decals, if it helps I can setup my digital microscope (its a cheap one but its something) and try to get some better pictures

M35 DD Luft HelmetM35 DD Luft HelmetM35 DD Luft HelmetM35 DD Luft HelmetM35 DD Luft Helmet

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Looks to me as if it has a post factory coat of paint. Hard to tell but I think it is black. Many think black repainted Luft helmets were worn by flak gun crew personnel. The tri color may have been "liberated", but if so whoever did it did a pretty good job. A nice well used first DD helmet. Well done. I like it. Jim G.
    It does appear black in the pictures, but outside in the light it almost looks like a very dark green? Wish I had an actual camera so I could upload better quality pictures :/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2