Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M35 Maker Stamp - Genuine ????

Article about: Hi Guys I am after some advice and hopefully someone can give me an answer I recently bought a supposedly genuine M35 helmet for my son. I did quite a lot of research and all looked ok to me

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the learning process

£95 won't get any kind of decent M35 in the current market unless you are lucky and find one in an old junk shop with no internet access! A decent original chinstrap is likely to cost more than that.

The other blokes have said everything really so I won't go over it except that it is also a good idea to get to know decent trustworthy dealers (with a no quibble return policy) but still heed what Steve said until you develop the ability to judge.

Just because someone is selling stuff at a fair doesn't make him a "dealer" per se or that he has any clue about the stuff he is selling. The one who sold you the helmet might just be an idiot, he might also be dishonest or even both none of which is any consolation to you at the moment. All the more reason therefore to do some research before buying anything of substantial cost.

It has happened to every single one of us at some point and the trick is to learn and not let it keep happening.

The members here are very knowledgeable as a group and more willing to help the the AA

It won't help you but it would interest many of us if you could tell which fair it was and even more if you know who the dealer/seller was?

I hope you find a decent lid for you sonsoon

Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark

Thanks for taking the time to reply

The fair I got it from is - Chatham Militaria Fair,which is held on the second Sunday of each month in Chatham Dockyard,Kent

I have no details of the so called dealer unfortunately - don't know if I was stupid or too trusting !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Maker Stamp - Genuine ????
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by gavgood View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but the link you sent is an M42 and mine is a supposed M35

I thought M42 edges were rounded out, but M35 and M40 skirt edges were beaded inside ?

Oram I missing your point ?
    You know....I was multi tasking and made a silly error. Yes. It is not an M42.

I would say yours looks more like an M40 (pressed vent holes vs riveted vents) but either way, the same holds true IMHO. The shape is still not correct.

Check out this one I own. And compare.

Sorry for the error

ET62 M35 DD Heer Lot # 4565
    Last edited by MAP; 06-17-2021 at 08:08 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post

I would say yours looks more like an M40 (pressed vent holes vs riveted vents) but either way, the same holds true IMHO. The shape is still not correct.

Sorry for the error

Firstly,don't apologise - you are taking the time to give me advice !!!!

I think I see what you mean about the shape - mine seems to be more square as it goes around to the back skirt

Do you see what I mean about the dash between the letters and numbers on the Makers Stamp ? ... Are no legitimate stamps produced this way ?

Your helmet is the nuts - what sort of price range would I be looking at for one in that type of condition ?

Thanks

Quote by MAP View Post

Sorry for the error

I think I see what you mean about the shape - mine seems to be more square as it goes around to the back skirt

Do you see what I mean about the dash between the letters and numbers on the Makers Stamp ? ... Are no legitimate stamps produced this way ?

Your helmet is the nuts - what sort of price range would I be looking at for one in that type of condition ?

Thanks

MAP
    ?

Thanks
    Yes, your helmet is more angular and it should be more rounded. Other small points I didn't highlight but not important. As far as I know there should never be a "-" in the maker mark.

Pricing is very subjective and very hard to give advice on. It is dependent on condition, rarity, location and who you buy them from (dealers, direct Vet / Family, other collectors, etc.)

But helmets can go from $100 (for a rusted pitted ground dug relic) to $25K+ (for extremely rare examples in near unissued condition). Prices have unfortunately risen over the last year due to Covid driving by increased demand as people are stuck at home.

If you are looking for an honest original complete helmet with dents, dings, scratches, some rust I would guess that with patience you can find one for under $1k. But bargains can be found for much less than that...

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Yes, your helmet is more angular and it should be more rounded. Other small points I didn't highlight but not important. As far as I know there should never be a "-" in the maker mark.

Pricing is very subjective and very hard to give advice on. It is dependent on condition, rarity, location and who you buy them from (dealers, direct Vet / Family, other collectors, etc.)

But helmets can go from $100 (for a rusted pitted ground dug relic) to $25K+ (for extremely rare examples in near unissued condition). Prices have unfortunately risen over the last year due to Covid driving by increased demand as people are stuck at home.

If you are looking for an honest original complete helmet with dents, dings, scratches, some rust I would guess that with patience you can find one for under $1k.
    thanks for all your help - my search will continue

MAP
    ?

This is a tricky hobby, you can get sucked in quickly.

Most importantly, determine what you are willing to spend (and can afford). From that point, you can then search and figure out what condition helmet fits within that price range.

If it is not to your liking and are willing to spend more for something better, then take some time and save up. It might take a while but it will be worth it. Just don't go into debt. This is a hobby! LoL

And never compare to what others have! No need to "keep up with the Jones". Every helmet has a story to tell regardless of condition.

Hi Mark

Thanks for taking the time to reply

The fair I got it from is - Chatham Militaria Fair,which is held on the second Sunday of each month in Chatham Dockyard,Kent

I have no details of the so called dealer unfortunately - don't know if I was stupid or too trusting !!!
    Yes, I know the Chatham fair and whilst it is a fairly interesting trip out (2 hrs for me) there are better ones and to be honest (stands by for howls of disagreement) I have never really understood why it gets the plaudits it does such as "best" biggest" etc because it isn't and to me it is very much in the "car boot sale" style. I have seen some very dodgy dealers/sellers there that in some cases seem to be more appropriate to house clearance sales. Don't get me wrong, any specific militaria fair is something we need to promote in the face of decriers and gainsayers it's just that I have never seen a seller there that I have seen on other fairs and a lot seem like "ebay rejects". So don't be put off but keep at it and you will enjoy some really good fairs in that neck of the woods. Not least of which is the War&Peace show (hopefully) in July 2022. I am sure it will be less of a show given recent events but it would have to fall a long way to be anything like Chatham. Maybe I am being unfair to that show but I can only speak of what I have seen there and because of that I don't make the (long) trip any more.

If you are west of Kent maybe Malvern Militaria at the Three Counties Showground (4 times a year) might be an option. North of well, Dover really, many collectors favour Stonleigh in the Midlands which is another "big" event.

The main thing is to do your homework. That is the only chance you have to avoid idiots and conmen I am afraid but that can actually be almost as much fun as finding a nugget!

The internet has given us so much information and research capability that we never had in say the '70s when old gits like me and a few others here started so there is so much out there to help and now you have found your way here that's another big spanner in the toolbox!

Research, learn, enjoy

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-16-2021 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Before you purchase anything it is absolutely essential that you do take the time to research... and as Mark has already said, it is much easier these days with the internet. So much information is now available at your fingertips, and you need to invest in some books on the subject too. Never fall into the trap of just relying on forums such as this and expecting other people to authenticate an item for you. Even those supposedly in the know occasionally make mistakes, so it is up to you to learn your subject as much as you can before you start parting with your hard earned cash. Even the most basic of searches should have been enough for you to realise that you are never going to get a good German helmet for £95. They can still be picked up for £400 - £500, and if you are really lucky you may get one for around £300. Don't rush in to things.

Thanks for the advice everyone it's much appreciated

To be honest my 13 year old son is the one who is more interested in the helmets (although the more I am learning the more interested I am becoming) and I didn't even think there would be so many fakes around - what's wrong with the world that everyone's out to take the p*** !!!!

But I have quickly learnt quite a bit from this site from you experienced lot and I won't be parting with any more cash until I have a helmet verified as original or have been advised on here its good (hopefully I will have also gained more knowledge by then to know generally what to look out for)

I am just thankful my fake didn't cost a fortune,though nearly £100 isn't exactly pennies - but I guess my son can now paint it whatever colour he wants !!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast