Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 Reissue helmet : paint history ?

Article about: Hello again, Recently i made a post asking a few things about a german M35 reissue helmet I own ( thoughts, price, etc ) here is the link to that thread in case you want to check what was sa

Question M35 Reissue helmet : paint history ?

Hello again,

Recently i made a post asking a few things about a german M35 reissue helmet I own ( thoughts, price, etc )
    here is the link to that thread in case you want to check what was said and how the helmet looks in general : German M35 helmet : original ?

However, after looking at the helmet a bit more, I discovered there wasn't just 2 layers of paint but 3 or even possibly 4 ( some with brush marks )! i'm quite surprised by that and would like to know why they would have repainted it so many times. Also there seems to be a strange "white line" under the paint that goes from one of the frontal rivet of the shell to the other one and i've never seen that on any other german helmet ever, sadly it's easier to see in real life that with photos, but i drawed a red rectangle around so you can get an idea of where it is exactly.

Also, there is a germanic shield decal peaking through the paint on one side and also a strange "white paint" remnant above the eagle decal..

I know i'm asking on a few specific details but I hope some of you guys know the answers and can help me

Here are the photos (sadly some rotated i don't know why) :

(The number show different layers of paint, 1 being the one i believe to be the deepest and 3 the outside layer.)
    (The question mark on one of the photo represents a paint that i believe to even be under the paint "1" but that i cannot find elsewhere on the shell)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Reissue helmet : paint history ?
    P
    Many

I would say 3 at most, being an M35 the base coat was most likely the apple green and then repainted when the new decal regulations came out. I don’t see a white line where you marked out

Paint discoloration can give the impression of a different paint , I see just 2 layers which is standard for a redecalled reissue. Lowest level looks bare steel to me. More repaints usually happens when winter camo is overpainted or a color that does not blend in well enough with the new theatre of operations. Often the decal is then overpainted too. The band in front could be from a rubber band around the helmet. Reissues can have many lives which is a huge part of their appeal for me.

Thanks for the answers ! Maybe i imagined a layer or two due to the alteration of the paint after so much time, but still glad to know!
    And about the line i guess it could be from a rubber band yes, i didn't thinked about that, but would be the most plausible option, it's to high to be caused by the chin strap.. ( again very hard to see the line on photos ).

Anyway thanks again I appreciate it