Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 relic helmet from kurland named

Article about: Hi Guys, I just got another relic helmet from Latvia, condition is good and it has a name writen on rear skirt WACHTM. HELLES . It has Alum Liner which started to turn into dust (this is pro

?

Default M35 relic helmet from kurland named

Hi Guys,
    I just got another relic helmet from Latvia, condition is good and it has a name writen on rear skirt WACHTM. HELLES .
    It has Alum Liner which started to turn into dust (this is probably the reason why so many relics do not have a liner band)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 relic helmet from kurland named   M35 relic helmet from kurland named  

M35 relic helmet from kurland named  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 relic helmet from kurland named
    P
    Many

Default Re: M35 relic helmet from kurland named

Hi Luis, nice helm. how did you come across it? It appears to me that it once had decals on it??

regards, Tyrone

Nice relic lid Luis , love them , looks like another Jevgenijs lid , cheers Raymond

?

Quote by kungfuty View Post
    Hi Luis, nice helm. how did you come across it? It appears to me that it once had decals on it??

regards, Tyrone
    Hi Tyrone,
    I got this from a digger in Latvia, he is the guy that sells to me most of the helmets I have. The helmet does have remains of decals, I believe it was repainted at one point during the war.

?

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    a great little research project too
    I would love to know more about it but all I have found so far is the the "wachtm" stand for watchmeister wich is a rank in the german army "Master Sentinel". So all I have is a last name Helles and a number 1/1?2..which is probably for the 122 inf div "Greif" that was destroyed in the Kurland pocket.

Hi Luis, the rank title of Wachtmeister was not widely used in the Heer and was used in Cavalry units. However, it was also used by the Police.

I think you are incorrect in your assumption of the unit. The "1/1??" would indicate No1 Kompanie of 1???

I don't have an order of battle for units which fought in the area. But I would have a real close look at the area where the decals are to see if there were any Police decals in place.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Wachtmeister was also a rank in Artillery and Sturmgeschutz units so could designate 1 Batterie / 1 ??,

It is highly unlikely that the last few numbers will relate to a Division more likely a Regiment or Abteilung, certainly the 1 represents a Kompanie or Batterie.

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Wachtmeister was also a rank in Artillery and Sturmgeschutz units so could designate 1 Batterie / 1 ??,

It is highly unlikely that the last few numbers will relate to a Division more likely a Regiment or Abteilung, certainly the 1 represents a Kompanie or Batterie.

regards

Paul
    Thanks to all for the valuable info, to tell you the truth at first I thought that Wachtm was a German first name until some one told me that was abbreviation for Wachtmeister. I then looked for the word in Wikipedia and all It said was "Master Sentinel"

Nice to have a name

I just posted my wire cammo also from the famous Latvian digger and it's a nice one too.It was found with a tag from the 122Inf.Div. so they were indeed in kurland in 1944

Nice lid Tom