Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M40 heer Shipboard grey / Schnellboot helmet

Article about: Hi all, I’m at the point starting to buy this helmet. See underneath info of the helmet. What do you think? This is allegedly a "ship grey" coastal artillery M40 with army decal.

I personally think this is a good helmet. The color matches the Schnellbootweiß in my Opinion. That it looks so new, may be the case as we are here talking about Paints made to withstand salt water, i would imagine them to be more sturdy.

M40 heer Shipboard grey / Schnellboot helmetM40 heer Shipboard grey / Schnellboot helmet

That Liners where usually not removed is true, but i think Kriegsmarine/Coastal Artillery helmets may be a special case, i have definitly seen some with the liners removed for painting:

M40 heer Shipboard grey / Schnellboot helmetM40 heer Shipboard grey / Schnellboot helmet
    (Picturs from the GHW Forum - there is a Thread called "A study in shipboard grey " with a lot of wonderful examples of Kriegsmarine Camo Helmets.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 heer Shipboard grey / Schnellboot helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Good points. However I'm still not a believer. I do not like what appears to be the paint over the rust in the decal area.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Always hard to say one one like these, i agree. I believe it to be original, but i cant gurantee it. This is probably one you have to inspect in-hand.

Definitely not a good this one. Remember for every fake there is an original example out there so that in itself does not make a helmet authentic.
    The paint under the liner is a red flag (it tells you to be careful) and yes exceptions do exist but learning to recognize exceptions is something that takes a whole lot of experience.
    If you have to make up rules why a paint looks new, has no patina , why it is not worn like any other overpaint (look at the ridge) to make you believe it is real it should tell you everything you need to know.
    This helmet shouldn't deceive anyone that's a little into German helmets.
    I wish I still had the photos but my dad did paint up a helmet battle ship grey like this one with revealed decal in the seventies. It sat in my bedroom for more than 20 years (the excess that did not fit in his war room was put on top of the closets of my bed room).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2