Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M40 Kriegsmarine camo südfront or DAK?

Article about: Good morning everyone! I would like to show this Kriegsmarine Camo M40 Single Decal helmet. Your impressions? This camouflage is more südfront than DAK right? Here some photos: A close up t

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Schwerpunkt - the seller also had 2 not just 1 DAK Kriegsmarine camos. They both looked different but does that seem odd to you? Or just weird coincendence?
    You are talking about this M35 right?

A close up to the decal, clearly visible the KM eagle under the layer of paint:

Seems to me there are visible other 2 colors under its paint, the green and the second color seems the same darkest camo of my helmet right?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Kriegsmarine camo südfront or DAK?
    P
    Many

It’s hard friend. I can tell you a KM decal no doubt as I own one and have another on the way. I had to study these. But when the decal is scrubbed or in this latest case posted ... painted over ... I can’t discern authenticity. Schwerpunkt here is quite good at this game and Andy and MAP raise some interesting points about the Swaz

My point was DAK / KM combinations are not a very common helmet. So for the seller to have 2 for sale. It just raised an eyebrow is all. What are your thoughts ?

Could the fatness of the two arms of the swaz be due to a possible dig out of the Heer/KM decal as well? If a previous owner attempted to dig out out but damaged some of the decal causing 'smearing' of the arms?

I'm not versed in decal construction, but if the black is placed over the gold during manufacture could this black layer have been worn away if, in fact, the previous owner had fiddled with it?

Possibly really tenuous points, but thought I'd chip in my 2 cents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On a second look the lines around the arms seem very uniform still, so unless my comment above spurs any ideas, disregard it.

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    It’s hard friend. I can tell you a KM decal no doubt as I own one and have another on the way. I had to study these. But when the decal is scrubbed or in this latest case posted ... painted over ... I can’t discern authenticity. Schwerpunkt here is quite good at this game and Andy and MAP raise some interesting points about the Swaz

My point was DAK / KM combinations are not a very common helmet. So for the seller to have 2 for sale. It just raised an eyebrow is all. What are your thoughts ?
    Well to be honest I got the same thoughts, 2 südfront/DAK KM together, even if in totally different conditions, aren't so common.. I can only study it better once arrives.
    By the way there is also this Heer DAK if you noticed..

But in this case decal is much more visible:

The decal - i'm not convinced it is a KM. There appears to be a faint line indicating the ridge, which the ET decal should have. But it is very faint and you need to be 100% sure.
    I've compared to another ET decal below. Again, difficult as i see differences but the wear makes it hard to be sure.

The rest of the helmet i like.

nick

EDIT: To clarify the left photo is Heer - graphically the same as KM ET but no ridge and no gold tone.

Yea man. Maybe he just has great finds. I try to be a healthy dose of Skeptical at all times. But not overly so. When the helmet arrives ....takes some pics and update this thread in a couple of weeks. Good luck! - Z

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    The decal - i'm not convinced it is a KM. There appears to be a faint line indicating the ridge, which the ET decal should have. But it is very faint and you need to be 100% sure.
    I've compared to another ET decal below. Again, difficult as i see differences but the wear makes it hard to be sure.

nick

Yea mate. Its really hard to tell. Nice comparison photo though. Even on some later ET style clearly gold (not toned) KM decals the ridge is undetectable.... so for something like this. Haha. Cant see the feet etc. Maybe someone will be able to Zero In looking at this - Z

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post

nick

EDIT: To clarify the left photo is Heer - graphically the same as KM ET but no ridge and no gold tone.

Since I have other SD Heer helmets which presents the yellowish in their decal as well is maybe possible that also this one is not KG?
    But strange because difference between a gold color and a yellowish white is quite noticeable

- - ------- - -

Sure once I receive I'll definitely do..

Quote by Bigivan View Post
    Since I have other SD Heer helmets which presents the yellowish in their decal as well is maybe possible that also this one is not KG?
    But strange because difference between a gold color and a yellowish white is quite noticeable
    Frank has posted examples of KM decals where the lacquer has turned the Heer decal a very golden colour.
    He also has a good blog post here: Heer or Kriegsmarine ? – German Helmet Vault

I would say when you have the helmet in hand - see if you can see the ridge. With the human eye and also with a loupe you will be able to move the helmet about and look in different light. This will be much better than any photo. Let us know the results.
    nick

Jan
    ?

Geman Helmet Vault is truly fantastic. I have looked for a nice Kriegsmarine helmet for a couple of years now. Not a camo but a decent well worn and salty example. I know it´s out there somewhere and someday our paths will cross

Best,

Jan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3