Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrap

Article about: Hi Gents Just about to come into possession of this M40 SE46 sized 57 from a reputable source. The liner looks almost brand new, apparently original to the helmet, the rivets look untouched

Default M40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrap

Hi Gents

Just about to come into possession of this M40 SE46 sized 57 from a reputable source. The liner looks almost brand new, apparently original to the helmet, the rivets look untouched for the main part. Have other pics if required.

Anyway question is, where would i get an original chinstrap in the same condition to match?

Thanks for looking
    Stefan

M40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrap
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Hello Stefan. Original chinstraps, even nearly mint condition examples, are out there. However, they have gotten quite expensive IMO in the past few years as collectors seek to "complete" their helmets. If you scour dealer sites and keep an eye on forum classifieds, you will eventually find one that fits your needs. However, you may find paying for it a little painful.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Quote by TWS View Post
    Hello Stefan. Original chinstraps, even nearly mint condition examples, are out there. However, they have gotten quite expensive IMO in the past few years as collectors seek to "complete" their helmets. If you scour dealer sites and keep an eye on forum classifieds, you will eventually find one that fits your needs. However, you may find paying for it a little painful.
    Be careful though , a lot of chinstraps for sale are a mixed bag of fakes and originals. Make sure not to spend hard earned cash on a fake chinstrap.
    Currently writing a blog post on the subject.

Thanks guys, yes I had a look today, and definitely will be careful as there’s a lot of repro ones although to be fair all listed as such.

Did come across of a couple of great articles, one on original helmet components and a chinstrap info page.

I will certainly wait as in no rush.

I would never buy a chinstrap, except if i would want to put a helmet on a mannakin. They make it harder to display a helmet, and make you require a helmet stand, as the Chinstrap over the brim looks fantastic, but it will damage the leather over the time.

Funnily enough I have since been offered a couple of genuine chinstraps from different sources.

One being this black one, looks like an ali buckle, Luftwaffe helmets used brown straps but varies to black after 1940.

M40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrap

Quote by stefanr View Post
    Funnily enough I have since been offered a couple of genuine chinstraps from different sources.

One being this black one, looks like an ali buckle, Luftwaffe helmets used brown straps but varies to black after 1940.

M40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrapM40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrap
    The brown straps are actually very uncommon so not standard LW practice.
    This one I would not buy. It is a steel buckle , Rf and Rb numbered straps always have steel buckles.

Just out of interest have being given the following pic, is there any way of finding date of manufacture made by Sächsische Emailler-und Stanzewerke, Lauter

M40 SD Luftwaffe missing chinstrap

Of your helmet ? No there isn’t a way to find a date.
    Z

MAP
    ?

I would venture a hypothetical argument that this helmet may never have had a chin strap. The bales look quite fresh. Potentially this helmet was shipped to the depot and sat unissued. It is my understanding that straps were not added at the factory.

Although it does have the tie string installed but this could have been done by anyone post war....the rest of the liner appears to never have been worn.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast