Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 with black finish?

Article about: I just picked up this hkp M42 and it has me stumped. Inside, the helmet is finished in the usual gray-green. The outside of the helmet, however, appears to be black. Could this be a wartime

Default M42 with black finish?

I just picked up this hkp M42 and it has me stumped. Inside, the helmet is finished in the usual gray-green. The outside of the helmet, however, appears to be black. Could this be a wartime finish? Or, has the helmet more likely been painted by a collector or motorcyclist post-war?

Some photos…

M42 with black finish?
    M42 with black finish?
    M42 with black finish?
    M42 with black finish?
    M42 with black finish?
    M42 with black finish?
    M42 with black finish?
    M42 with black finish?
    Last edited by Hallibag; 04-29-2024 at 02:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 with black finish?
    P
    Many

Potentially painted black for use by FLAK units, however if that was the case you would expect to see Luftwaffe blue inside. I like the paint as it does look old and potentially period (has same/similar patina to the feldgrau inside), but a lot of German WW2 helmets were also painted black post war and used for civil purposes such as the fire brigade etc. Having some remains of the original TR liner and not some civil liner would tend to rule that out. Hard to be definitive with these unfortunately. Can you see any signs of a decal on the left hand side under the paint?

Andy

Thanks so much, Andy. I’ve looked closely but see no evidence of decals under the paint. An M42 from a batch this late would likely have been made without decals, though, unless I’m mistaken?

I agree about the apparent age of the paint. It looks old to me, too. I also find it interesting that, where I can see underneath the heads of the slightly-loose liner pins, the same black paint is visible, rather than feldgrau.

Did Heer FLAK crews wear black helmets?

MAP
    ?

There are definitely original Heer "black" helmets. Black in general are hard to find and Heer examples even more so. I have one and I know Frank (Schwerpunkt) has a few as well.

While collectors call these blackies "flak" I personally think it's just collectors lore (Luft or not). But for convenience calling them "Flak" is fine by me.

This one looks like it stands a good chance. But hard to draw a conclusion from just photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Hallibag View Post
    Thanks so much, Andy. I’ve looked closely but see no evidence of decals under the paint. An M42 from a batch this late would likely have been made without decals, though, unless I’m mistaken?

I agree about the apparent age of the paint. It looks old to me, too. I also find it interesting that, where I can see underneath the heads of the slightly-loose liner pins, the same black paint is visible, rather than feldgrau.

Also have a look at Frank’s page on black painted helmets on his website.

The Black Stahlhelm – German Helmet Vault

- - ------- - -

Quote by Hallibag View Post

Also have a look at Frank’s page on black painted helmets on his website.

The Black Stahlhelm – German Helmet Vault

Thank you, MAP! And thanks to AndyM35, too, for the helpful link.

?

Thanks again for posting the link on black helmets, it's an interesting and "in depth" look into the different types sometimes found in this lifestyle.
    I have an interesting helmet in my collection that appears to be factory painted black. It's a variant I've never seen before, a "beaded" M40 luftschutz without decals but has everything one would expect from a late war example... And it's in minty condition and I got it for a really good price on fleabay back in the day but the seller didn't know what he had and sold it as a repaint and refurb..

MAP
    ?

A few in these threads.

See post 119 and 120 Germany's combat Helmets

Heavily damage M40 at estate sale
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello, in Prague, the firemen had such helmets, and SS jerrycans also, in black.
    In the late years, the helmets were sold an broken in pieces by dealers of the place.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Your helmet sounds very interesting Dean! Would love to see if if you haven't already posted it yet!

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast