Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Bring back with cover

Article about: This one came out of the woodwork, original field made cover with its helmet, helmet is a nice NS42 single decal, with matching age, the cover was off when I got it, so fortunate to see the

I hate to rain on someone’s parade, but i don’t like the liner either. The edges of the “fingers” look a little too fresh, and the color doesn’t seem right. I hope it’s just a broken phone, but it’s definitely not a “one-looker” to me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Bring back with cover
    P
    Many

?

I appreciate the comments

The string is internal to a band around the edge so would not need to be tied, I have the benefit of having it in hand but it is rust stained in spots so I highly doubt it's been replaced, that's my feeling.

There is one spot of black stitch on the front, the rest is either faded or just tan, tbh I don't see any brand new spots

The liner imo is typical for this period, again my camera probably does not show it but the liner has light dust/dirt.

The rust in the dome is from I believe condensation not being able to escape over a period, the bright spots is rust formation, it looks worse in the photo than in hand

?

The one liner finger is faintly size stamped with the 5 being more visible

Lot number is D218 by the looks of it

Showing bits and pieces and bad photos does not really help.
    You say woodwork but it comes from a guy you know so the woodwork angle is already being stretched.
    Recently an identical topic was posted on WAF , cover and helmet and woodwork but it turned out the cover was bad.

Cover must have been a zelt, shame... not a common one!

Had similar thoughts regarding the liner and considering the condition of the interior of the shell the liner does look fresh. Also, the liner string holes show no stretching or other evidence of wear and tear unlike the rear skirt and dome interior.

The outside of the helmet looks uniformly quite fresh, assuming that the cover had been stored on the helmet for any length of time would some of the covers staining not have been visible on the surface of the helmet?

?

I have no issues with this helmet or liner, having it in hand is really the crux here, off course all valid points to look at and consider but I did already give it a good look over. The woodwork angle is just that, it has all the hallmarks of being stored somewhere for an extended period, of course the photos so not show the small details of oxidation etc to the liner band or other areas, if I had the slightest doubt this helmet and cover were not original I wouldn't have posted it or even bought it.

?

I showed a couple of photos, someone asked if I could show more, there is no motive here, I'm not David Bailey lol

The liner looks like an orignal to me, but the amount of oxidation inside in comparison to the well preserved leather is really something that would make me personally worried. May be a replacement imo, but with the cover on, and no pics of the split pins thats hard to nail down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast