MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal

Article about: I would like some opinions about this helmet I have. From my research, it has a Gustav Peiniger decal, yet it’s an M42. I want to make sure that it’s legitimate. Thank you

I'm no Forensics Expert, but as a humble collector, I think it's a Beauty!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal
    P
    Many

Quote by Jaws View Post
    Schwerpunkt, thank you for your reply! Is there anything specific about the helmet that makes you say its post-war? You have 5 SD Heer helmets on your list that are “rear marked,” one of them even states it has the “mad faced” decal. Which I understand to be the Gustav Peiniger variant. Nearly all the helmets on your list in that lot number brange have decals. If there are obviously other helmets that are “authenticated” with the same characteristics on your list and lot numbers cannot be trusted, what exactly is the issue?

Blackdog, stated “hairline cracks and damage to the decal” as the reason for his opinion. I don’t see hairline cracks. What about the damage to the decal makes it post war? Are your concerns the same? Can someone educate me on what to look for. I am a novice collector who would like to learn what to avoid.

I purchased the helmet from a very reputable dealer here in the US. He stands behind his items and has offered to buy the helmet back if I am no longer comfortable with it.
    There are a few things to take into consideration. Istarted the lot number list in 2006 as a research tool. Hoping to fill some knowledge gaps. At that time we had theories but less prove of production patterns. Even in 2006 the mad faced decal was considered post war applied in almost all cases if found on M42’ s.

In order to challenge that or contradict it it got added in the list. Time would tell if more similar helmets popped up. Over the years however no patterns have emerged that the mad faced or GP decal is a factory decal. It has turned up on trannies and reissued helmets. I did it with the champagne runes as well before they were absolutely shown to be fake. The absence of patterns in the lot numbers showed the CR runes application made no sense. (A lot applied on helmets after the decal drop). They were subsequently removed from the list.

If you paid single decal heer price I would send the helmet back or ask for a discount.

I'am not an expert in this but I have learned a lot since I became a member and I always stay critical when I read evaluations on authenticity of decals here, trying to check various sources...
    But with the independent expertise of Frank and the confirmation of other sources, I tend to believe what is said here...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal   M42 Heer Helmet Single Decal  

Hi Jaws, the damage and stress cracks I see (bottom right) can happen when an unapplied original decal has been added to a helmet post war, they are quite fragile and break up easily like this one.
    Also, notice the condition of the surrounding paintwork - it looks very clean and with no chips and scrapes unlike the decal.
    All the components are original at least, but in my opinion the decal was added post war.

?

Thanks to everyone for explaining the reasons you think it’s post-war. I really appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2