Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Italian Campaign Camo

Article about: Hey guys, a buddy of mine had this for sale and I have been looking for a camo helmet for a while. The colors seem Italian and the innards of the helmet seem ok. Can anyone speak to the appl

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, I really could not give an opinion I would be 100% confident in with these images. The wear certainly looks to be honest, but I do not like the shade of green in particular and as Michael says, this could have very well been a heavily worn helmet that was re-painted 50 years ago. For now I would pass on it. Leon.
    I am about to list an m42 with that colour green...... and i know mine to be 100% like you i am cautious about giving it the thumbs up. And like frank said......better closer detailed shots for sure are needed,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Italian Campaign Camo
    P
    Many

hopefully this will help - then again maybe not
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Italian Campaign Camo   M42 Italian Campaign Camo  

M42 Italian Campaign Camo  

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice up to this point on this helmet. I was able to get some pictures in better light. I haven't given up on this one yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images M42 Italian Campaign Camo  M42 Italian Campaign Camo  M42 Italian Campaign Camo  M42 Italian Campaign Camo  M42 Italian Campaign Camo  M42 Italian Campaign Camo  M42 Italian Campaign Camo  M42 Italian Campaign Camo 

MAP
    ?

Jerry

The pictures can't be expanded as the resolution is still too low. Not giving you a hard time but close up details are needed especially for Camo helmets.

Check out this thread. Click on a photo and click again. You will see what I mean.

M42 Luft Textured camo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Camo helmet issue, of which this is a good example, highlights the difficulties of being certain about just when a layer of paint was applied. It can be very difficult to determine if paint was applied in 1943, 1963 or 1973. Unless you submit the object to intensive chemical analysis and other scientific test. To try and do it from a photograph, without actually holding the helmet is even harder. Some areas of reproduction and fakery are easy to pick, repaints can be very difficult. Which leads me to the crucial missing factor most of the posters of these helmets fail to look into. The Provenance of the object. In the wider world of antiques, the Provenance (or the history and origin of the object including former owners) is rated very highly. With Camo helmets the provenance should be the first thing a buyer asks for. If a dealer is selling, who did he buy if from? Where did that guy get it from? With a Camo helmet you really should be trying to find a trail of provenance to the 1940's when a serviceman brought it home, or at least a good portion of the last seventy something years. Too few miltaria collectors take provenance seriously. It's not essential all the time, but for the Camo helmet collector I would suggest it should be top of the list of things they want. And if there is no provenance, walk away. The risk of buying rubbish is too high.

I'll be damned. What the hell.

MAP
    ?

So is this your buddy selling on ebay?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    So is this your buddy selling on ebay?
    Good point and I would ask the same question

I don't know whats going on here But it is the same helmet I found being sold on flea bay - the seller has some "questionable" items to say the least

I was not aware this was on eBay. I have had a few conversations with this guy about other helmets that were ok. Definitely passing now that I see it on eBay. Boooooo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast