Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M42 late war helmet?

Article about: Hello everyone, Today I received this helmet as a gift, but I'm worried about the type of paint it has ,because one of the few things I know is that in the late war helmets they used aluminu

Hello everyone!
    I noticed something that it worries me , the helmet smells something like paint.Could it have been recently painted while there are rusts and scratches?
    I took some close-up photos to make the paint details clearer.
    Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 late war helmet?
    P
    Many

Hi Terry,

So i asked around a few more people about the paint, as i know you were concerned about it as per our PM.
    I had another 4-5 people all say they thought the paint looked original from the photos. It was commented that EF helmets often have a smoother finish than other M42s. It was also mentioned that the smell you talk of could be some sort of cleaning fluid?

The rust bleed and scratches - i've seen this on other helmets that definitely have not been painted, so i would not worry about that.
    It maybe worth asking someone else if they can smell the same as you? (You haven't have the 'rona have you? - just kidding).

So with the comments here, and the email responses i had - the general consensus is paint is good
    nick

Good morning!
    Today a friend came who knows about paints and told me that it does not smell exactly like paint but like mold. He rubbed it a little with a wet piece of cotton and it turned black as if there was a layer of dirt on the helmet. If it was freshly painted he told me the cotton should be clean.

M42 late war helmet?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3