Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage

Article about: Good day all. I have been given the opportunity to purchase a M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage As I have no experience with birdcage fitted helmets but am keen on adding one to my collection if it

Pal
    ?

Default M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage

Good day all.
    I have been given the opportunity to purchase a M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage
    As I have no experience with birdcage fitted helmets but am keen on adding one to my collection if it is original.
    But I am fully aware that birdcage wire is heavily reproduced.
    So I would be grateful for any advice on this helmet.
    Both manufacturers number and lot number are extremely difficult to identify.
    Thanking all in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage   M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage  

M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage   M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage  

M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Luftwaffe SD birdcage
    P
    Many

First and foremost thing to do would be to authenticate the eagle , what I am seeing so far is not good.

Pal
    ?

I have requested better photos of the decal and will post when received.
    At this point aside from the decal question, is there any possibility of the birdcage being original?

Photos are not very clear, but can I see very rusted wire over what appears to be some type of fresh paint beneath? There is no scientific process on 80+ year old helmets that I am aware of that explains that? The decal is suspect and it’s under the ‘bird cage’..

Quote by Pal View Post
    I have requested better photos of the decal and will post when received.
    At this point aside from the decal question, is there any possibility of the birdcage being original?
    If the decal is bad the wire is post war , for me not one to put effort in.

MAP
    ?

Regardless of the decal. I'm not a fan of the wire.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Being a virgin on wires, I am asking myself if it is anyway possible to say for sure if a chickenwire is authentic. But as Frank told here : if one thing has been messed up, the wire will almost certainly be messed up too.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Helmcollector View Post
    Being a virgin on wires, I am asking myself if it is anyway possible to say for sure if a chickenwire is authentic. But as Frank told here : if one thing has been messed up, the wire will almost certainly be messed up too.
    Wire helmets are very difficult to authenticate. And given that they are heavily faked, strong provenance is often needed.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Pal
    ?

I fully understand and except the principle that if decal is suspect then the remainder must also be considered suspect.
    Thanks again for making this clear. No matter how much you want something to be, principles still apply.
    Can I reach out to the forum and request for anyone that has birdcage helmet that they are 100% certain of authenticity to post here, that I may have some example to later use as a reference.
    Thanks again to all who replied to this post.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Pal View Post
    I fully understand and except the principle that if decal is suspect then the remainder must also be considered suspect.
    Thanks again for making this clear. No matter how much you want something to be, principles still apply.
    Can I reach out to the forum and request for anyone that has birdcage helmet that they are 100% certain of authenticity to post here, that I may have some example to later use as a reference.
    Thanks again to all who replied to this post.
    Well I don't own one (and never will unless I pull it out of a foot locker myself). But just use the search function. With a bit of effort you will find threads with original wire helmets (of course you will find many more threads with fake ones)