Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Sd Heer Helmet

Article about: This was the first helmet I ever picked up it came in a lot of 3 that were sent home to a lady in Charlottesville, Va by her husband from Italy. It's a very large helmet size .

Default M42 Sd Heer Helmet

This was the first helmet I ever picked up it came in a lot of 3 that were sent home to a lady in Charlottesville, Va by her husband from Italy. It's a very large helmet size .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Sd Heer Helmet   M42 Sd Heer Helmet  

M42 Sd Heer Helmet   M42 Sd Heer Helmet  

M42 Sd Heer Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Sd Heer Helmet
    P
    Many

Can you post a decal close up , usually helmets in this range do no longer carry a decal.

Yeah Frank is right, I completely forgot to look at the lot number haha
    Other than the possibly post war added decal it's a nice clean CKL M42 tho.
    Luis

Default Decal

Close up of the decal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Sd Heer Helmet  

The decal is good and an ET but just by appearance it looks post war placed to me.
    Could be vet done or done up as a souvenir for soldiers arriving after WW2 ended.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    The decal is good and an ET but just by appearance it looks post war placed to me.
    Could be vet done or done up as a souvenir for soldiers arriving after WW2 ended.
    Just a question. What appearance does it show that it was post war placed? I thought the decal looked weird the way it laid on the surface, is that what you saw?

I’ll let Schwerpunkt speak for himself but I guess the big flag is that it was after the “decal drop” meaning these helmets were no longer decaled. Also seems to be no difference in paint color in the worn areas. No fading. A lack of scuffs and scrapes as well in the worn areas. Oddly cropped on edges. Etc. These could indicate an amateur placement well after the war perhaps. Still a nice piece and what appears to be a real decal. PS I would not have noticed if this hadn’t been called out.
    Z

Absence of lacquer as well could indicate this was not factory placement

Quote by SimonSorenKam View Post
    Just a question. What appearance does it show that it was post war placed? I thought the decal looked weird the way it laid on the surface, is that what you saw?
    The way it is more damaged than the rest of the helmet which is in good condition , It looks badly applied and in such case damage can occur , this one looks very oddly damaged as if pieces just broke off.
    But foremost of course we see helmets with this lot nr without decals.

I also wondered about the decal and the lot number - with the decal drop starting around 3200. But there are a small handful up to 4000 in Frank's database.

It does have strange wear to it - flaking off in this way.
    If it is deemed post war applied - you should at least have a nice ND helmet.

nick