Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M42 SD Heer shell opinions

Article about: I'm considering buying this SD Heer M42 shell which I think is an EF shell looking at the font of the lot number and the shape of the air vents. It is not in the best condition but still has

Default M42 SD Heer shell opinions

I'm considering buying this SD Heer M42 shell which I think is an EF shell looking at the font of the lot number and the shape of the air vents. It is not in the best condition but still has quite a bit of decal remaining and most of its paint even if it's quite dirty and rusty. The seller wants 150€ including shipping, I know we don't do evaluations and such on this forum, but still, would you consider it a good price for the lid? If I buy it I am considering installing a matching condition liner and maybe a set of original split pins with field grey paint on them in the helmet.
    Curious to hear what you all think.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 SD Heer shell opinions   M42 SD Heer shell opinions  

M42 SD Heer shell opinions   M42 SD Heer shell opinions  

M42 SD Heer shell opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 SD Heer shell opinions
    P
    Many

Lot number is 35892 or 35392 and in Frank's lotnumber database there are 2 M42 EF66 35892 helmets listed, both SS, or maybe it's 35392 or were there also different size helmets in one lot number batch? Since the seller said it measured 63cm on the outside at the air vents indicating probably a 62 size shell.

?

Hi Potato digger.

Looks like a decent relic shell to me, Kind of weird that there is remnants of the decal when most of the paint is gone.

Personally i think 150 euros is way too much for this. if you just save maybe another 200 Euros, you could probably get a decent ND M40 with a liner and all.

Just my thoughts

Alex

MAP
    ?

Interesting...very high lot number. Very high. I would assume is should be a ND but there are two observed lot numbers (35892) in Franks Database that are SS. In fact all 5 digit lot numbers in Franks database are SS helmets.

Edit: Doh! Sorry...I see you already said that.

I don't know going prices on relics but I would guess this would be an $80 to $100 piece. Not worth restoration IMHO.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think outside of the shell still has quite a bit of paint but that it is an extremely thin coat which I have read was quite common towards the end of the war.

Thanks for your replies, all !
    Interesting that you think it is not nearly worth that much, because I have a friend who also collects helmets and other militaria and he reckoned it to be worth around 200€ as there is not real pitting in the shell, just paint loss and the odd bit of surface rust.
    Either way, I got the seller down to 140€ shipped and this would be my first helmet that still has remnants of a Heer decal.
    Just kind of surprised that the value differs so greatly between collectors, but as always it's in the eye of the beholder. You can get bare shells without paint for around 100€ so I think it might be worth the shot.. I personally think it is just pretty dirty like from an attic or something but not too pitted, more of a semi relic that a real relic in my eyes.
    But that's just what I think, and what do I know haha
    Luis

MAP
    ?

All it ever matters is what you are ok and happy.

Price is subjective
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is very true, MAP, and I'd say that this example really shows how subjective price can be.