MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Named heer m40

Article about: I’m looking for help in finding out what happened to the German who owned this helmet. The bullet hole might look bad for the chances at first but I bought it directly from the US veterans

Congratulations! That is an amazing find! I know what Bizerte stands for, its a Place in Tunesia, so that helmet was very likely part of the Africa Campaign. I absolutely love this helmet, and the clues it gives to its Origin!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named heer m40
    P
    Many

That is amazing!!! My jaw just hit the floor when I read Africa campaign and Tunisia. Thank you so much for your help!
    Last edited by BattleOfTheBulge25; 08-13-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Using this map I figured out that the vet was in the 9th infantry division. Is there a map of the German units who were in the area at the time?
    Named heer m40

Named heer m40
    I believe that the regent that the German was in was the Afrika-Schützen-Regiment 962. I would like other people’s opinions on this because I am unsure that this is the regiment

Well, that is hard to find out, you would need detailed Battelplans, and probably find out which exact Unit the Vet was in. Maybe there is a Databank which lists the Members of the American Units present there, and look up who came from the same place as the Vet? Or do the same for every German Unit present there, and look up if there was a Kurt with a matching Last name?

I'm trying to look up his name on the Volksbund database, but I've yet to find a Kurt that matches the criteria.. besides I really can't make much sense out of his last name.. "S..ults..."
    At least we know that we need to look for a Kurt that may or may not have gone missing in Tunisia in around May 1943.
    There's a bunch of Kurts at the cemetery Bordj Cedria, Tunisia but I've yet to find one that has a name that would fit..
    I'll keep on looking though.
    Luis

Well, as Kurt was captured in Africa, he probably ended as an British or American prisoner of war, so if he died in captivity he could also have died in the USA or Britain, but there is also a relatively high chance he survived the war as he probably spent the rest of it in a prison camp.

The first name is Karl. I was reading up on the 962 Africa regiment and it says it was a penal battalion that was based around Belgium in the Antwerp region. I’m thinking that might explain the SH in Karl’s last name instead of the German SCH. Also how would I be able to find a database of all the German soldiers captured in bizerte?

I only located one Karl Schults who lived in Rotterdam, there are many Karl Schults listed from Germany including one who travelled from Bremen to the USA in 1954!

Thank you for the reply but his surname is not spelled schults it’s spelled shults but there is more of his name I cannot read on the liner.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast