Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help ID'ing this helmet

Article about: This helmet is in a store I work in, it was brought in a while ago with the previous owner having claimed it was a very early pattern of FJ helmet, predating the M38 design. The shell defini

?

Question Need help ID'ing this helmet

This helmet is in a store I work in, it was brought in a while ago with the previous owner having claimed it was a very early pattern of FJ helmet, predating the M38 design.

The shell definitely reminds me of an M37 shell, with the slits on either side. However, the chinstraps aren't like any German straps I've come across before.

If anyone has any insight into this helmet, I would appreciate it as it has been sitting on a shelf with no information for a while now and it would be good to finally be able to say something about it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help ID'ing this helmet   Need help ID'ing this helmet  

Need help ID'ing this helmet   Need help ID'ing this helmet  

Need help ID'ing this helmet   Need help ID'ing this helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help ID'ing this helmet
    P
    Many

I have have no idea about authenticating these helmets but isn’t that decal a Heer decal? FJ was part of the Luftwaffe and would have a Luft decal right? Perhaps I’m wrong

?

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to German helmets, so I wouldn't know honestly.

Hi there.

To be truthful it looks like a ‘replica’ m37 Fallschirmjäger helmet made from a cutdown m35 or m40 German Infantry helmet.

You would encounter straps like this on the super rare m36 FJ helmet.

As for the Heer decal, these are sometimes encountered on FJ helmets.

Fallschirmjager helmets – German Helmet Vault
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help ID'ing this helmet   Need help ID'ing this helmet  

M38 with Heer decal.

Photo courtesy of Virtual Grenadier

Virtual Grenadier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help ID'ing this helmet  

Can you post a decal close up ?
    It is obviously not a standard FJ helmet but an M35 repurposed.
    You can see a real M37 with rectangular cut on my page here.
    Fallschirmjager helmets – German Helmet Vault

My gues is that liner is taken from Fire police/ fire department helmet?

?

I’ll take a photo of the decal when I’m next in work.

So it seems like it’s either an M37 shell with the incorrect liner thrown in, or an M35 cut down to be an M37? I’m guessing the that would be a reproduction job and not something that was done by the German armed forces?

Does anyone specifically recognise what the helmet liner could be? The chinstraps somewhat remind me of those on the Swiss helmet.

M38
    ?

The liner and straps are close to what they should look like in an original M37 helmet but I believe from these photos that all components - shell, liner, straps, paint, slots - are post war reproductions.

Cheers,
    Terry

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi there.

To be truthful it looks like a ‘replica’ m37 Fallschirmjäger helmet made from a cutdown m35 or m40 German Infantry helmet.
    Agree with you it isn't an original M37, shape is consistent with a cut down M35/M40 and the addition of some thick paint. Going to be much cheaper than the original, if you can find one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast