Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New to German helmets and I could use some help with identifying please!!!!

Article about: i saw this supposed M40 helmet shell for a decent a price but i dont know if it is fake or if the Decal is fake or not. the decal is worn quite a bit so its hard to tell. i was told the pers

will do guys thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New to German helmets and I could use some help with identifying please!!!!
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Looks like its just an M40... With an ET style decal and a messed with old liner in it to me. I don’t see the Camo MAPs talking bout (on phone disclaimer)
    Z
    Overpaint is considered a camo by some. Even single color. Not what we traditionally call a camo but technically it is.

It don't think it is an ET decal but better photos will tell. The curved line in front of the eye is more like a HJK than an ET as well as the left foot.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Agree with MAP. An overpaint. Can see what looks like brush strokes on the inner rear skirt too!
    Yes. I see the strokes as well. I think they stop at the liner band but can't tell.

Quote by Noob Military collector View Post
    well i have been collecting for a decade and i have never had the chance to buy a German helmet with mostly (60ish%) intact Decal. i guess i got excited and wanted to jump on it before anyone else did. my fault. well i know it has its problems i was just hoping it was real. my collection isnt pristine condition stuff but i do strive for authenticity. someone has to buy the rougher items lol
    IMHO, I think you got lucky and it is an original shell, paint, decal. Again, photos are lacking so once you get it, please take better photos. Others with more decal experience will be around and maybe able to help with the photos provided.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Don’t get loud with me man ! I hear that. Just the exterior doesn’t look like an overpaint to me. (Inside looks like my Reissue M35 w the brush strokes Though). And decal head doesn’t necessarily look ET but the feet do to me (dimple). Again decal is crumbling away and pics bad. So we shall see. Gnite mates. ( or “Gday“ to Andy )

Z

Noob, a repaint is not a bad thing at all and just shows a little bit more of the helmets history. Repaints such as this that were done during war time can be looked upon as a kind of camouflage as the aim was to dull down the original paint to take away the shine. Shame about the decal and liner but as a first helmet and as long as it’s in your budget and you like then all is well. If you continue to collect you might notice that you start to spend more and upgrade to better quality helmets it’s really up to how far you want to go.

As Paddy said good quality photos are a must so don’t be afraid to move on if the seller won’t provide more - always the best policy when you’re not able to hold the helmet prior to purchase or until you feel more confident. Plenty of other good ones out there.

Andy

Thanks! I didn't know the decal was in such rough condition. I thought I was lucky when I saw it. Is there any way I can preserve the decal? Even though it is extremely rough?

MAP
    ?

Just leave the decal and helmet as is. Don't clean it at all. It's fine the way it is.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The textured paint inside could be a factory error, the outside does not seem repainted.
    Decal is indeed a HJ&K so EF or NS helmet.
    The liner band if steel could be original to the helmet, that is something the new owner would need to check , without disassembly.
    Like MAP said , do not clean or use any preservation oils it just does not work.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    The textured paint inside could be a factory error, the outside does not seem repainted.
    Decal is indeed a HJ&K so EF or NS helmet.
    The liner band if steel could be original to the helmet, that is something the new owner would need to check , without disassembly.
    Like MAP said , do not clean or use any preservation oils it just does not work.
    Frank: In looking closely at the left lower wing tip of the decal, there is little room between the wing and the edge of the decal. Thus I was assuming it was taped off and a rough overcoat put on the helmet. I guess it is possible that the decal is misaligned and was a misprint.

Perhaps the decal was folded over on itself on the left side lower. Agree with Frank about the outside paint but the paint inside the read skirt is odd if it’s the original finish and appears brush applied at least in one photo. Having said that and considering how close the paint goes to the band I would have thought the band would have paint on it too!? The chinstrap bale has something on it though. Will be interesting to see better photos.
    New to German helmets and I could use some help with identifying please!!!!

How the band is bent, i would guess it could be a post war replacement. Especially as the outside looks good enough for the liner to have atleast some leather remains.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast