Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

New member with a helmet question

Article about: When moving I found an old German WWII helmet my father told me he had found himself in a forest area in the very north of Sweden, close to the finnish border, where he grew up. He found it

Default New member with a helmet question

When moving I found an old German WWII helmet my father told me he had found himself in a forest area in the very north of Sweden, close to the finnish border, where he grew up. He found it a few years after the end of the war.

So getting curious I started to try to identify it...and realised I know very little of the topic and came across this forum, and hope to be able to post some pictures and get some qualified info about the helmet.

It seems to come from the Quist factory, it is marked with Q64.
    One can also see a makers name on the leather strap, the name of the city of Ulm, and the year 1943 or possibly 1944.

One thing which seems a bit unusual (perhaps?) is that there is a written text at the rear, the "title" "Obergef." followed by a hard to read name.
    Can anyone the decipher the name?

I would much appreciate any further facts and info. I am not even sure which model it is, being new to all this.

Thanks in advance!
    Stephan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New member with a helmet question   New member with a helmet question  

New member with a helmet question   New member with a helmet question  

New member with a helmet question   New member with a helmet question  

New member with a helmet question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New member with a helmet question
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

Looks like a model 1940 (M40) single decal army (Heer) helmet that sat outside in the weather for some time. It appears to be all original and complete with proper chinstrap, liner, decal, and paint. The company that made the helmet is Quist and the shell size is 64. It could probably be made to look much better by treating the rust some, but many if not most collectors prefer helmets to be left in as-found condition.

The writing in the back of the inside rim is the original owner's surname and rank.

Cheers,
    Terry

Really nice! Congrats on your little treasure, thats a wonderful piece of history to have, especially with such a story behind it. Looks like a nice Single Decal M40, the name is really hard to read... but seems to be Obgefr. (Obergefreiter - German Army Rank) Surf....? Would need more pictures, maybe we can read it then.