Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Original M17 Helmet?

Article about: Hey, I have the opportunity to buy this helmet, but I'm a bit confused about the extra hole/split pin on the front of the helmet. Also, opinions on the decal would be greatly appreciated. Th

Default Original M17 Helmet?

Hey, I have the opportunity to buy this helmet, but I'm a bit confused about the extra hole/split pin on the front of the helmet. Also, opinions on the decal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Original M17 Helmet?

Original M17 Helmet?

Original M17 Helmet?

Original M17 Helmet?

Original M17 Helmet?

Original M17 Helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original M17 Helmet?
    P
    Many

Hi Adam, It’s a strange one for sure. It appears to be a larger sized (66 and up) German M16 shell of WW1 period manufacture as noted by the original chinstrap posts inside the shell. The apparent front liner pin might simply have been added to fit the current liner which appears to be non-combative and perhaps civic related if original. The interior paint looks post WW2 but there may be some WW1 feldgrau inside the dome judging by the last image. By comparisons the outside paint looks older (appears to be painted over rust), but without further hi res outside photos, it’s hard to really verify exactly what it is. Same applies to the remains of the decals. Any manufacturers codes, if visible, would be helpful too.

Andy

That is odd. I would guess a post war mod to help a sagging liner lol or more likely maybe there was a badge on the front at one point and somebody used that hole for a split pin???