Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Question About ND German Helmet

Article about: German helmets are not usually my area of collecting, (not sure if I really have one though, I just kinda go after stuff that I think is interesting) but I found this one on a reputable deal

?

Default Question About ND German Helmet

German helmets are not usually my area of collecting, (not sure if I really have one though, I just kinda go after stuff that I think is interesting) but I found this one on a reputable dealer's site and I wanted to ask you guys what you thought of it.
    Thank you all VERY much in advance!
    Question About ND German Helmet Question About ND German Helmet Question About ND German Helmet Question About ND German Helmet Question About ND German Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question About ND German Helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

On the surface, it looks legit to me.

Can't say if chinstrap is original. Liner pins are a bit loose but that is not necessarily a red flag. But something you would want to confirm from the seller. If he is reputable as you say, he should be able to send you photos of the inside split pins.
    Last edited by MAP; 03-12-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks alright to me. My only concern would be the effect the chinstrap has had on the shell. It's clearly been folded over the brim for some time, and it appears that rust has formed underneath it. If the helmet were displayed with the chinstrap resting on the shelf beneath it - as is best to preserve them - there would be an ugly strip of rust across the brim. It could always be cleaned up, of course.

Apart from that, I like it! Some rippling visible around the edges of the skirt and on the brim, indicating impurities in the steel typical of late war helmets. My own M42 exhibits the same rippling. Personally I like it. A hallmark of a desperate Germany on the verge of defeat.

Regards, B.B.

?

Thanks for the responses!
    Michael, thanks for the info, I probably will ask him for pictures of inside split pins.
    Brodie, thanks, I might ask the seller for a picture of underneath the chinstrap, to see how much rust is underneath it.