Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question of books for reference.

Article about: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, not sure where it should go. I have been adding to my collection of books after going through the reference library for what others use/

Default Question of books for reference.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread, not sure where it should go. I have been adding to my collection of books after going through the reference library for what others use/prefer and I have some in my collection that I didn't see and wondered if they were not recommended or relevant anymore. The first pic is the books I have used for a long time and were in the reference library. The other 3 I would like opinions. I find them good reads. Are they still good and credible?
    (Note:These books pictures are used for reference and opinion only, no copyright infringement intended).

I have used these for a long time.

these I haven't found opinions on.

Question of books for reference. Question of books for reference.
    Question of books for reference. Question of books for reference. Question of books for reference.
    Question of books for reference. Question of books for reference. Question of books for reference.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question of books for reference.
    P
    Many

Reference books no matter how old will always have value in regards to information. Now granted we have now been reliant on the internet and world wide web for the past several years and new information has surfaced in regards to all aspects of collecting. Back when many of these books were written by whom I consider pioneers as these authors were the first to delve into many of the areas we seek information about today they did not have all the information at their fingertips like we have today.

We all know now that some of the information in the books as well as the artifacts in them have been scrutinized and put under fine microscopes and examined and some of those items (if not many) have been deem reproductions..

With that said however the information within those pages in many cases is still relevant and a source of reference today.

If you take a look at our reference library that Moderator MAP and myself started last year you will see many of the same books that you posted within the pages of reference books we have gathered and are in many of our own book shelves.. Some of us started out with those books and still have them, now more for nostalgia than anything else as many of those books have been updated with better photos, more factual information and other data..

I still refer back to some of my first reference books which are now approaching nearly 50 years of age and nothing beats opening the pages of those books and going back to better times..

Here is a link to the forums reference library.. It is still a work in progress and we ask that if you have books that are not in the library section to follow the examples that we have posted using the data available in the same format and images and you may post them in the appropriate topic areas..

If there is no topic area for a specific item PLEASE contact myself or MAP and we will consider opening and starting a new section..

You will also see in the library that there is a separate discussion link area where you can talk/discuss books. We only ask that you follow those guidelines in order to keep the library as clean and uniform as possible

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/forum-reference-library/

Smitty

Thank you Smitty. I had seen quite a few of my books listed in the reference library but not the 3 I posted most of the pictures of. I may have accidentally glanced over them and not noticed. I love the reference library, I have bought multiple books that were referenced there I didn't have.
    I have had these books a long time, but I wanted to make sure now that I am back into collecting that I am using credible information to collect and or offer an opinion.

I stopped collecting TR lids decades ago but have never stopped buying books. It seems, to me at least, that THE book on German lids comes out every year....and one must hope that they get better and better and are full of new stuff to learn. I commend your interest in books at a time when the Facebook “Wots-this-werf” crowd predominate. Stick with the paper! :-)

I would advise to buy the books written this new century as they contain a lot more details and combined knowledge and better photos.
    Get Jan Melands recent book that just came out a few months ago , you can order it directly from the author.
    Review : Jan Meland’s German Helmets 1916 – 1945 – German Helmet Vault

Quote by Composite View Post
    I stopped collecting TR lids decades ago but have never stopped buying books. It seems, to me at least, that THE book on German lids comes out every year....and one must hope that they get better and better and are full of new stuff to learn. I commend your interest in books at a time when the Facebook “Wots-this-werf” crowd predominate. Stick with the paper! :-)
    Thanks, other than this forum and a gun forum and a car forum I have no part or presence in social media. Books, most history are my life and I have a decent library but I have been out of german helmet collecting for 11 years and after seeing some incredible fakes out there, I wanted to reassess my books I use to make sure they are still credible. As we all know some have had partially been discredited and as these are older I wanted to make sure. I got two more to buy but man, it's going to take 1/3 of my paycheck for that decal book. I'll have it though.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I would advise to buy the books written this new century as they contain a lot more details and combined knowledge and better photos.
    Get Jan Melands recent book that just came out a few months ago , you can order it directly from the author.
    Review : Jan Meland’s German Helmets 1916 – 1945 – German Helmet Vault
    I have Jan's book on Visor caps. The helmet book is on my list. As well as the Decal book. My friend wont let me borrow it, he's afraid he'll never see it again and it's expensive .

....and if and when you make that big leap into British Home Front Helmets......... :-)

Quote by Composite View Post
    ....and if and when you make that big leap into British Home Front Helmets......... :-)
    I have a few already. Pith, Brodie ect.

MAP
    ?

Quote by SimonSorenKam View Post
    I have a few already. Pith, Brodie ect.
    Composite has authored a mighty fine book (so I'm told ) on British Home Front helmets. It's in the reference library.

Jan's book is the newest out there and very good as I've said before and it has the support of other well known Helmet authors as well.

The three books (beyond Terry's classic - Terry is a member here as well) I do not know so I can not comment on them.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast