Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Quist m40 liner, need your input

Article about: Hello all, First of all thanks for having me, this is my first post although i have been lurking here for quite some time. I would like to get some opinions regarding this Quist m40 size 66/

Default Quist m40 liner, need your input

Hello all,

First of all thanks for having me, this is my first post although i have been lurking here for quite some time.

I would like to get some opinions regarding this Quist m40 size 66/58, in particular the leather liner.

Some info about the helmet: stamped Q66, DN400 in the rear skirt, paint looks very old but i'm not sure if it's original (there's some rust underneath). Chinstrap missing.
    The steel linerband and splitpens look original to me, the splitpens are rusted and the linerband has these white old looking stains.

My question is, is the leather original or a repro? I tried to make some good pictures. The leather has this strange hairy/furry look to it, as if someone tried to age it.
    At the same time, the inner stamps look pretty convincing to me and also to a fellow friend/collector. The leather has been double-stamped, we were surprised to see that.

One is facing the 'right' way, the other one is upside down. Hope you can read it on the pictures but the stamps say: 6-43, under there RB Nr. 0/1305/0327 and under there '58'.
    The one that is facing upside down is missing the 6-43 stamp, but is positioned better and easier to read. The one that has the 6-43 stamp is partially covered by the 'fur material'.

Another interesting thing that i noticed: all of the splitpens that hold the leather are 'flatheaded' but one of them is the 'fat' one. Also one of them is missing.

Anyways hope you guys could help me (sorry for the long text), i would like to find out if the leather (and perhaps the rest too) is real. Also i wonder what you guys think about the paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Quist m40 liner, need your input   Quist m40 liner, need your input  

Quist m40 liner, need your input   Quist m40 liner, need your input  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quist m40 liner, need your input
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

The whole helmet looks put together. Repainted shell

On my cell now but will try to look later.

In the meantime, I'm sure there will be other members who will chime in
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The liner is a reproduction. The look of the leather and especially the felt is a giveaway.

Thanks for looking into it MAP and Schwerpunkt. I was kinda expecting it to be fake but was keeping my hopes up hehe. So there's also not the possibility that, for example, it was an original leather and one of the previous owners was unaware of this, and he started aging it by giving it the worn out look? And the splitpins and linerband are also fake? Perhaps it's all repro indeed but very old, hence the rusty look? I did buy this helmet for a 'repro' price so either way i didn't spend much on it.

Greetings,

MAP
    ?

The shell is legit from what I can see.

Hard to tell but liner band looks ok to me. I would suspect the split pins are ok, but would need better photos

Essentially you have an original shell that to me has repainted and repro leather liner installed on the liner band.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)