Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet

Article about: Hello, Unlike my previous helmet I send back yesterday I biught thus what I think 100% original helmet from an old collector. He got this helmet from his dad back in 1972. They never messed

Default Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet

Hello,

Unlike my previous helmet I send back yesterday I biught thus what I think 100% original helmet from an old collector. He got this helmet from his dad back in 1972. They never messed with it or took it apart. Even though the liner is not in the best condition but its still very soft. The liner rivots are super tight never been apart wich are pretty hard to find these days.

I think this helmet is a reissue m40 with some wartime overpainting. On the left side there is still some reminensce of a decal.. maybe its still under the top layer. Overal very nice piece of kit wich immediately felt really good.

Would like to have some of your expert opinions.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet   Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet  

Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet   Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet
    P
    Many

Hi, well that M40 is certainly not in the best of condition and the paint appears to have been oiled, so I hope it was not to expensive? The liner is the earlier type used in M35's as it has the "square" d bales, but it is quite possible that if this was factory or field re-furbed that one of those could have been fitted in. Looks honest enough, but the chinstrap looks a bit out of place. Leon.

Like Leon says , low end helmet so buy cheap or leave it. Liner would need to be looked at but alu reinforced liner is possible but not if dated 1938 or earlier. The decal seems to have fallen off rather than being overpainted.

Yes, you can be right bout the oil. The liner however is supertight, also lot of dust and stuff between the linerband and the shell. I paid 300 euro for the helmet. I like helmets in this condition... the"been there" look. The chinstrap ( wich I think is genuine) can be added postwar but it is on the helmet for a long long time.chinstrap are indeed the first thing who will get lost but again.. I really trusted the guy I bought it from, he was a 73 year old enthousiastic collector.. and his dad found this helmet aling with another m40 in houseclearing in my area back in the 50,s 60's. If you got this piece in your hands it breaths history.

I know there are much prettier helmets you can buy.. but I personally prefer thus kinda helmets thats just taste.
    Last edited by Bumbleshoes; 04-27-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Pic of chinstrap and decal.. not made in daylight probably not very useful. White paint is probably storage crap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet   Reissue M40 ET? Unaltered helmet  

Hi, just as a matter of clarity, I think the chinstrap is original, just it's condition is better than the rest of the helmets leather. I personally like my awards to have the "worn" look so if you like your helmets in a heavily used condition then it's a big thumbs up! Leon.

Seems legit, 300 smackers is not outrageous so if you like it then enjoy and be happy.

Quote by Bumbleshoes View Post
    the"been there" look. I know there are much prettier helmets you can buy.. but I personally prefer thus kinda helmets thats just taste.
    They have all been there : the very damaged and weathered , those that dropped into a bush and were unearthed years later and those that were picked up by GI's right after a battle and stayed in a locker.

Yeah ofcourse.. I just personally like the rougher look to them. Without considering 3000+ helmets are not in my budget lol. Cheers