Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Reissued Firefigther M40 Quist or Trash?

Article about: Hi Folks Today I'm here with a new account because I was unable to recover my old one. Yesterday I’ve received my newest and cheapest helmet so far and I would like to know more about it.

Default Reissued Firefigther M40 Quist or Trash?

Hi Folks
    Today I'm here with a new account because I was unable to recover my old one.

Yesterday I’ve received my newest and cheapest helmet so far and I would like to know more about it. I have a limit knowledge about BGS and other after war helmets so I hope I can learn more from you for proper identification on this one. This helmet on the leftside of the picture has a black shiny colour, as I know it from fire helmets of the ww2 period.

Under the paint scratches is probably a red primer and no other old paint. The manufacturer is Quist with a size of 66 and the serial is 4652.

In the hand, the Material feels different to my other helmets but it’s possible that only the paint confuses me. The weight of the helmet is only 50g less than the EF64 shown on the same picture. The liner seems to be a post ware firefighter, I personally never saw one of those before.
    What do you think, was this helmet an original M40 before being refurbished for a firefigther or is it a BGS shell with new stamps? I’ve painted the serials with chalk for better visibility.
    I wish everyone a nice day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reissued Firefigther M40 Quist or Trash?
    P
    Many

?

I don't think new stamps are a thing.
    Your helmet is a mid war Quist M40
    by its size mark under the side skirt and by its lot number.
    It should be heavier than your size 64 helmet but perhaps that is due to the lightweight postwar liner.
    I'm very happy to be corrected.
    Thanks for your post I have a couple of bargain fire helmets.

From what I know the post war produced helmets that quist made never had the batch numbers and also the air vents would be a bit different, so yours is a wartime produced one.

Thank you both for your assessment. I could try to remove the black color, but the later use in the fire department is also part of the history of this helmet and this is better than tinkering with it.

Nice Shells in good shape and in a desirable size -66-... Collectors ought to scoop these up while they're still reasonably cheap, because prices for untouched helmets have gotten beyond reach for most average collectors on a budget...I'm seeing combat-damaged relic shells selling online for $150-$200 nowadays - when it wasn't all too long ago when nobody wanted them at any price...Well done, friend...I'd be tempted to restore at least one shell with original parts -Liner, Rivets, Chinstrap-...
    -Glenn-

Like it, these are getting more rare to find as they get used up by ppl trying to recover the WW2 paint or reaanactors. If it has OG paint underneath - it wont run away, nothing wrong with it staying this way.

Hi Glenn
    I wasn't specific enough in my first post, the helmet on the rigth side is complete and only there for reference.

BR
    Hanspeter