Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reissued M18

Article about: Hello, I´m offered this reissued M18 helmet. Is it okay? Thank you for your support. Best regards

?

Default Reissued M18

Hello,

I´m offered this reissued M18 helmet.
    Is it okay?
    Thank you for your support.
    Best regards
    Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reissued M18
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Interesting helmet. An early M31 single band aluminum liner. As such, I would expect it to have started life a "Transitional" example with decals. But I see no decal outline under the overpaint.

Interesting chinstrap too. Not one I recognize

Is there any paint on the liner or liner band?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Interesting chinstrap too. Not one I recognize
    Hello,
    This system of chinstrap closure with a flat metal hook rather than a pronged buckle reminds me a bit the swiss system.
    I'm not saying it's swiss, just saying it's similar.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

I bought it now and will see if I can see anything regarding the decals.
    Where can I find some information about the swiss system? I bought it from Austria, close to the swiss border from an old man who got it from his father.
    I will update after it arrived to me, guess next week.
    Thank you so far :-)

I agree with MAP - a nice later war re-issue M18. Second last photo I can see some light green as expected on an early tranny, but perhaps the textured paint has obscured the decals? A good side on closeup would help. Interestingly the shell appears to have been repainted with the liner band and perhaps leather still in as the dome interior looks like it has re-issue paint inside. Nice example!

Andy

?

I found now a picture of the swiss chinstrap system...similar....Reissued M18

?

I found now this chinstrap. It is from a polish wz 31 steel helmet, designed and produced after WW1.
    On this M18 helmet it must be a German spoils of war and used to re-issue it in WW2.
    The history could be re-issued to the German Reichswehr and given to another organization after the M35 was issued or that at the end of war it was taken again and equipped with the polish chinstrap (at this time they have taken everything what was available).
    Best regards
    Reissued M18
    Reissued M18
    Reissued M18

?

additional picturesReissued M18Reissued M18

?

UPDATE
    After a real postal Odyssee, it finaly arrived and I´ve taken additional pictures in daylight.
    Oppinions are welcome.
    Best regads
    Reissued M18
    Reissued M18
    Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18Reissued M18

Congratulations- you’ve picked up a very nice example of a re-worked Imperial German Stahlhelm which has lived many lives. As MAP suggested earlier, the aluminium liner band hints at this being an early transitional prior to it being reissued. The squared off aluminium buckles and single ply liner (not reinforced) also point to that. These new photos also appear to show the shadow of a decal on the right hand side which was likely the National shield. Nothing apparent on the left perhaps due to the thickness of the paint application on that side. So, at the very least originally WW1 issued, issued to the Wehrmacht early in the TR period and then reissued again in WW2!

Does the paint inside the dome look field grey or light green? The reason I ask is that the paint looks like it was applied by spraying with the liner in situ as I can see the underlying green in some areas and a distinct change in colour between the paint in the skirt and that behind the liner band and also some paint runs. However, the right side chinstrap bale appears to have grey paint on it and perhaps the leather too. And yet there doesn’t appear to be any on the aluminium liner hand. I don’t think that there is a lot of information about how some of these were painted so I’m just curious as to whether or not some type of protection was inserted between the band and shell for painting?

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast