Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Restoration possible?

Article about: I acquired this helmet recently, a Norwegian post-war refurb. A pretty crude job, just a slap of OD paint on each side (presumably to cover the double decals) and then the Norwegian decal on

Default Restoration possible?

I acquired this helmet recently, a Norwegian post-war refurb. A pretty crude job, just a slap of OD paint on each side (presumably to cover the double decals) and then the Norwegian decal on top. Unfortunately at some stage someone tried to remove the Norwegian decal as well...

I've wondered if it would be possible to gently remove the OD paint and reveal the original decals underneath?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Restoration possible?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Restoration possible?

hi , nice helmet . you could try paint stripper or acetone . if you apply a little at a time and wash of quickly with water it should work. test on the paint areas away from the hidden decal. have used this method myself with good results. i would just try clean of the olive drab paint to expose the norweigen decals . i think its a shame that so many of these helmets are restored to ww2 german specs as they are a great piece of history .....pavel

Thanks for the advice, and I agree in principle with your point about leaving things as is.

However, for clarity, in this case the Norwegian decal has been partially scraped off at some stage prior to my ownership and is beyond help unfortunately.

Quote by stug View Post
    hi , nice helmet . you could try paint stripper or acetone . if you apply a little at a time and wash of quickly with water it should work. test on the paint areas away from the hidden decal. have used this method myself with good results. i would just try clean of the olive drab paint to expose the norweigen decals . i think its a shame that so many of these helmets are restored to ww2 german specs as they are a great piece of history .....pavel

?

I somehow doubt that there are other decals under that paint, but either way you will find that to remove the Norwegian paint will be a real pain and the chance of ruining whats underneath, if there is anything, is very high, you may be lucky and have one that was just sprayed over but most have been stripped back to metal, also the liner isnt original to the helmet as such, they normally had the real liners and were dyed red, in fact that liner isnt period German make

?

Nice big size shell, 68. I'd leave it as is, if you screw up, then it's all gone to pot. This way, at least the history of the helmet is complete.

Nitram

?

Yes, I would leave as is. IMO

Leave it alone.

It is what it is.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

what takes off paint and decals usually chemically destroys all vistages or traces of whatever it is your trying to take off the fine line as to where a decal & paint strats and stops is anyones guess the acidtone or stripper dont know where or when to stop you most likely wipe the entire surface clean leave it be.

Advice taken gentlemen, I'll leave it as is.

Cheers,

CC

Norway
    ?

Don't do anything with it! It has been used by german forces (ww2) And by norwegian forces (After ww2) A great piece of history!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast