Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.

Article about: Hello everyone, I picked up this helmet recently for very cheap. I'm assuming it's an original WW2 M40 reused post war by a German, Danish or Dutch fire department. I had a few questions abo

Default Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.

Hello everyone, I picked up this helmet recently for very cheap. I'm assuming it's an original WW2 M40 reused post war by a German, Danish or Dutch fire department.

I had a few questions about it though and I was hoping that my fellow forum members could help me out

For one, I was wondering whether or not it is a WW2 shell and not a Bundesgrenzschutz one as it's stamped in the back only with the letter ''E'' (factory error?) and because it feels a tiny bit lighter than my M42 ET62 Stahlhelm (could it be my imagination or are ET shells actually heavier?).

And I was also wondering what ''ERU'' could stand for? And whether or not I should add ''liner fat'' (last pic) to the disintegrating liner and flap. I know that the No. 1 rule is to never add anything to the liner but I thought that since this one appears to be gone in the next three years anyways that I could never hurt it any more than it already is.

I'm sorry for all the questions, any help would be much appreciated!

Lucas

Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reused NS64 M40 Stahlhelm by fire brigade.
    P
    Many

Hello shaped steel
    This E is not a Factory error, it is its lotnumber
    It its possible that this shell was producted in 1940 but it was never used like the B1-8 series too made by NS in size 64
    It can be that the M40 of you is heavier than your M42 because the Comb and the heavy colour is a weight too
    All in all a good helmet and I have one made out of a Hungarian M38
    BR
    Bavarian

It's a post war made NS shell. Stamps look quite different than the wartime ones.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    It's a post war made NS shell. Stamps look quite different than the wartime ones.
    Interesting, i didn't know this. I've added my NS64 below as comparison.
    The '6' is most noticeably different.

also the separation between the individual stamps.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    What would be the best way of identifying these post war lids? I always thought that West-German helmets were stamped with that LS logo.

I've never heard of West-German helmets being stamped this way, I'd like to know more but I can't find much about it online.

Quote by ShapedSteel View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    What would be the best way of identifying these post war lids? I always thought that West-German helmets were stamped with that LS logo.

I've never heard of West-German helmets being stamped this way, I'd like to know more but I can't find much about it online.
    Knowing the wartime stamps , font style and size of the markings will help you identify fake and post war stamps.
    I have no interest in post war shells so I can't elaborate on them.

It is post war indeed, I got fooled by one, too, NS64 B4.
    I can definitely prove it is post war, because I recently bought a big lot of equipment from a fire department and one typical steel fire department helmet (with the 4 ventilation holes) was marked VDNS (Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke AG, Schwerte) and B9 or something similar.
    Luis

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    It is post war indeed, I got fooled by one, too, NS64 B4.
    I can definitely prove it is post war, because I recently bought a big lot of equipment from a fire department and one typical steel fire department helmet (with the 4 ventilation holes) was marked VDNS (Vereinigte Deutsche Nickelwerke AG, Schwerte) and B9 or something similar.
    Luis
    Yeah these helmets are a real pain because of how similar they look to the WW2 ones. I had never heard of these helmets before so I had no idea that they were something to look out for.
    I'm assuming that these helmets are BGS/Polizei helmets that were modified for civil use? Am I correct?

But anyways, I hope that from my mistake some other new collector will safe money.

Lucas

1 thing about the liner and treating it , it won't be gone in 3 years without treatment. I have much worse liners.
    The fact just is that these products are not made for conservation of leather but to keep leather useable (supple) and works best with leather that's not almost 100 years old :-)
    None of my leathers which I own for +15 years have noticeable deterioration. Also all the leathers treated very long ago (60's / 70's) have not improved at all as compared to none treated leather.

So my golden advice , keep chemical products away from your helmets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast