Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Rough M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?

Article about: I would like to add a M40 helmet to my collection, I'm looking for one that's rough, but of course a real M40 helmet shell. I'm Basically looking for a project for next summer. I know there

Default Rough M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?

I would like to add a M40 helmet to my collection, I'm looking for one that's rough, but of course a real M40 helmet shell. I'm Basically looking for a project for next summer.

I know there are a lot of fakes out there, so i'm asking for some advise on the following helmet. What do you guys think?

Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

?

I like the rusty background. Camouflage is effective.

It looks very thin on top, I can imagine that if held up to light it would be full lf small holes, I'm guessing it is extremely cheap as it will probably shatter if dropped.

Don't take this one on as a project, if you start trying to remove the rust you will have little left worth keeping. Relic helmets in better condition than this can be found at very reasonable prices. Some collectors may advise you to steer clear of relics and save up for a good one, but there is something about relics that can convey the horrors of war more than any pristine helmet ever will. And of course there is also the financial side of it too, some collectors are limited by what they can afford to buy.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks guys for the recommendations.

I came across this one as well. It looks to be in better shape.

Thanks again for any help.

Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?Rough  M40 Helmet, Real or Fake?

MAP
    ?

Yes, stay away from the first one. Too much corrosion.

The second look like a nice relic camo. As such, I would NOT use it as a project. It is nice the way it is.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I agree with Map in regards to leaving this shell as it is. What you have is an historical item that has it's own story to tell and once you change the shell the history will be lost for good too.

Ken at German helmets Inc refurbishes and sells ww1 & 2 shells as restored helmets and from I can see these shells have already been re-purposed post war so the history was already gone. You may be able to approach Ken with a view to purchasing one of these shells as a project. Either that or purchase a helmet that has been messed with and is an obvious fake for sale in eBay. This could be a good starting point but also keep in mind that even these helmets may have original paint and even decals underneath the new post war paint.

Thanks guys, I came across Ken's website while surfing the web. I'll check it out further and probably order a project helmet in the new year.

THe second one appears to have enough of the out surface in original condition that a gentle wash in warm water rust treatment and rinse might show some of the original paint work.

As such I never re-paint any helmets as it takes away any traces of the "his - story" of it. But cleaning and treating to stop rust is ok.