Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985

Article about: As promised, my very first decaled German helmet, an ET66, lot number 1985, bought from the vet’s son in about 1966 for \\$1.75 (that’s right folks, ONE dollar and seventy-five cents!) wit

Default SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985

As promised, my very first decaled German helmet, an ET66, lot number 1985, bought from the vet’s son in about 1966 for $1.75 (that’s right folks, ONE dollar and seventy-five cents!) with the vet’s permission! It is complete with liner and chinstrap and tie string. No done stamp. When I bought it the size 58 liner was cream colored, just like new, but I played army a lot as a kid and the liner got a little stained. The unmarked chin strap was always dry and stiff and about 2 years ago it just broke. The vet had blotted out the swastika of the second pattern Luftwaffe decal with shoe polish but over the years (without any intervention by me) the shoe polish faded and the swastika became more and more visible. Well, here it is, my 3rd German helmet and my first one with a decal. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985   SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985  

SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985   SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985
    P
    Many

Here are the decal and interior shots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985   SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985  

SD Luft - ET66 - Lot(# 1985  

$1.75 ?!?!?! What ?!?

Well. That’s ok Jim. I’ve overpaid for helmets too. I’d go $1.25 on this one tops back in day.

Great one Jim. What a thrill it must have been for you. When I received my 1st combat helm. It was a Luft. In late Jan of this year. I remember thinking how minuscule the decal looked because I had been looking online at blown up examples studying beforehand.

Interesting story to about the shoe polish. The vet didn’t want to see it in his house ? Or maybe the family didn’t ? Interesting. And the method used. Glad he used that instead of scratching it off eh ?
    Thanks for sharing
    Z

MAP
    ?

Considering that most of us begin with "starter" helmet, you picked a winner and began your obsession the right way. And not a bad price either!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You won't get provenance much better than that. Interesting too Jim's recollections on the condition of the liner in 1966 and how it since has gained patina.

?

Love it Jim, and the story as well.

Thanks for sharing.

John

Pretty astute for an 11yr old Jim ( even if that was several weeks pocket money )

Most kids would've been playing with GI Joes or Major Matt Mason space toys ..... or Hotwheels!! ( I know I was )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

a nice honest piece.