Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Should I get this WW2 german helmet

Article about: Sorry guys I’ve been posting a lot on here I’m just constantly looking to get my collection started and have found another helmet but this one just seems weird to me because usually when the

Choosing a helmet is a very subjective thing as it really comes down to personal taste. As has been mentioned clear images are required to make a proper assessment.

The vent holes being inserts means that it is an M35 model helmet. As Todd said it looks like apple green paint underneath. On the left side appears to be remnants of a Luftwaffe decal which wouldn't make sense with the apple green paint but then there is a blue/grey over the top which would be OK. Perhaps it was a former army lid repurposed for Luftwaffe use. Not sure if this ever occurred happened??

Clearer photos will definitely assist. Personally if you are unsure trust your gut instinct and save for something better that you can be happy with. There are still plenty of nice helmets out there.

- - ------- - -

Choosing a helmet is a very subjective thing as it really comes down to personal taste so the decision is really yours to make. As has been mentioned clear images are required to make a proper assessment.

The vent holes being inserts means that it is an M35 model helmet. As Todd said it looks like apple green paint underneath. On the left side appears to be remnants of a Luftwaffe decal which wouldn't make sense with the apple green paint but then there is a blue/grey over the top which would be OK. Perhaps it was a former army lid repurposed for Luftwaffe use. Not sure if this ever occurred happened??

Clearer photos will definitely assist. Personally if you are unsure trust your gut instinct and save for something better that you can be happy with. There are still plenty of nice helmets out there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Should I get this WW2 german helmet
    P
    Many

[QUOTE=AndyM35;1919500]Choosing a helmet is a very subjective thing as it really comes down to personal taste. As has been mentioned clear images are required to make a proper assessment.

- - ------- - -

Sorry for the quadruple posts everyone. It think this Ipad is dying. Please feel free to delete.

Very strange helmet - looks to be an M35 with the separate piece air vents. I assumed it was Luftwaffe with green overpaint - but when I looked closer it looks as if the green is under the Luftwaffe blue. And it looks to have a Luftwaffe eagle and tricolour.
    I can only assume it has been over sprayed with the blue and the Luftwaffe decal has been added?
    It is difficult to tell from the photos.

The price is really not that bad - but get some better photos and post them here first if you can.

Also - consider saving for longer and getting something around $400-$500. I know it seems like a lot but when it will open up dozens more options, and... when you look at the helmet on your shelf you will feel really pleased with yourself (post them here also).

nick

**EDIT: I've looked again at the inside of the helmet and it really looks like the luft blue is original. The liner band is tight and it doesn't have any paint on it. I don't know what has gone on to the exterior of the helmet, but I think this was originally a luft.

I would as MAP says .... Save up a bit more and buy a no questions asked example ... I'm sure there are far better examples out there for not a lot more.
    Have a look at the Classified Adds top of page ... there's a few decent ones there for little more money.

Don't know what is going on with the paint...nothing good. However the chinstrap is worth close to the selling price of the helmet. Can you take a pic of the maker mark & date on the tip or at least read it & let us know ?
    D.

I Always say better buy one good one for the price of three or four lesser ones. This one is a lesser one.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I Always say better buy one good one for the price of three or four lesser ones. This one is a lesser one.
    Ditto, as I said in your other thread.

Wherever you set your bar, relic or mint (most of us are somewhere between the two) the main thing is originality.

I suggest some serious research first. Work out what type you want an example of then learn how to spot a good one. This way you will learn enough to help judge other patterns.
    There are some really good books out there now investment in which will save you much cash and grief. Look around the forum and you will find many references to the best books. Also take advantage of the massive amount of material here to help you.

Oh, and one other thing; there are no stupid questions in this game (unless you try really hard) only stupid answers so you won't annoy anybody worth talking to

The internet is the saviour of new collectors, use it wisely. Us old buggers learned the hard way but at least that means we can help the newbies. Just keep asking.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2