Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with Wintertarn remains.

Article about: Hi, As i previously mentioned i took risk and purchased the M42 helmet, the photos provided by seller weren't the best. Here are photos of the helmet after i received it. The manufacturers c

Quote by M38 View Post
    Andy, I don't know where your friend is getting his information. This is not true at all. The aluminum outer bands were paired with an aluminum inner band and the steel outer bands were paired with steel inner bands. Period. WZ made liners with aluminum bands - inner and outer - through 1943 as well as steel, but they still matched aluminum with aluminum and steel with steel. If you see a mixture, it has been messed with at some point in time.

I do agree however, this helmet is worth owning for what it is, and leave it as is.

Cheers,
    Terry
    I am hoping he may comment later. In the meantime I have sent you a PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.
    P
    Many

I think you have scored a nice addition to your collection Oberschutze. It may not have been well stored or looked after, but now it will be enjoyed and displayed proudly.

Well... guys Andy and Terry ..lol. Surprise
    the one with the vast experience Andy mentioned is supposed to be referred at me.

This is always an interesting debate about which materials were used for zinc plated steel inner band.

as we know Steel is a ferrous alloy composed mainly of iron and carbon; the percentage of iron is higher or lower based on to the kind of alloy
    well... i tested with a magnet all my helmets (late and early ones) when i studied the liner system.
    I might say something many disagree but it's a matter of fact that and did not perceive/see any "attraction power" whatsoever as I found for example on the strap buckles.

I of course know we use the term zinc plated steel for inner and outer band ( and also fo the leaf springs ) but i started doubting it was really all steel,
    unless the parkerizing nullifies any magnetic property of the iron contained in the alloy.

I do agree the helmet posted shows an aluminium looking...but the same i can say for some of my late 42 helmets where i can see them lighter if i compared with the steel band.
    Hard to be sure on what they are actually made on some cases.
    i have few helmets with reinforced aluminium that shows a darker "internal" band for example that i would say "looks like galvanized steel" but no magnetic.

I might say something not correct when i said to Andy they were all aluminium made but i can swear at the same that doing the test they (again) didn't affect the magnet.
    This is what i experienced...so i started wondering which was actually the material they used for the late bands as for example zinc instead of steel as the common knowledge would say
    (Zinc like they used to make the hollow IAB badges for instance)

Of a further note i also perfectly know the aluminium was a "precious" material in the late years...so i started thinking it could be something else

Cheers
    Andrea

MAP
    ?

Quote by sysyphus View Post
    Well... guys Andy and Terry ..lol. Surprise
    the one with the vast experience Andy mentioned is supposed to be referred at me.
    I thought Andy was referring to me? Oh well....time to deflate my ego ROFL!!!!!

But seriously, an area of the liner system that I for one have oddly never paid much attention too.

A very very informative thread on a topic rarely covered so well done by everyone for the open and constructive debate.

I will now of course be tempted to take the 99 bottles of beer (ahem helmets I mean) off the wall and check out each one.

Carry on!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I personally have owned an Relic M42, that was pretty much gone - EXCEPT for the outer liner ring, which was almost perfectly preserved except for the chinstrap bales.

Here are some pics, sadly i cant examine it more... as i have sold it off some time ago:
    Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.

This could be an indication of the outer liner ring being a different material then just galvanized steel.

Hello,
    Honestly didn't expect that this thread will be so interesting. I decided to add a few more photos of the same helmet. I managed to get smaller magnet- the outer liner band seems to be made from steel- it is magnetic- the magnet "sticks". The inner band is not magnetic, the rivetts and leaf springs attached to it are magnetic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.   Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.  

Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.   Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.  

Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.   Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.  

Other pictures. If the inner band is not matching with the outer liner band- material wise should i remove it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.   Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.  

Stahlhelm M42 ET62 with  Wintertarn remains.  

Nice to see some additional pictures, and I agree, it’s a very interesting topic on an area of the liner band system is a little overlooked perhaps due to it being so hidden away. Whatever you do, be very careful with the liner as it would be very fragile.

Please - just leave the helmet and don’t touch it. Always best to leave things as you find them. The helmet is fine as it is.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Please - just leave the helmet and don’t touch it. Always best to leave things as you find them. The helmet is fine as it is.
    Allright, thanks for the advice- i will leave it in the same condition/ configuration i bought it.

With regards,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3