Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stahlhelm opinions please

Article about: I've been given this Stahlhelm that was according to it's owner picked up on an old German withdrawal Route just after the war. It's definately been dismantled and brush painted black, there

From what I know there is only a speculation that some of these were wiped of their markings so they could be sold post war but I believe there is no hard evidence of this, they were under contract in 1955 for producing these with the the same machines and supposedly same specs, all the ones I’ve seen are sold as contracted m40/55 helmets, as there’s no evidence of them being original ww2 shells.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm opinions please
    P
    Many

Quote by MAP View Post
    But were not most M40/55 helmets repurposed wartime produced helmets with the exception of some being produced postwar (in Germany) with no maker marks? Not my area of expertise

If my memory serves me the M40/55 do not have a uniform rolled edge. I have a few Finnish helmets and their edges (postwar) are different, and I believe they were produced up until the late 60's early 70's. That is most definitely a fire fighters liner and his pot doesn't seem to have the two additional holes drilled into it to accommodate a Finnish liner that it I believe it would have at some point been upgraded to as I have never seen an original German liner in a Finnish post war helmet, but that's not to say there isn't any.

Here are two of my Finnish M40/55's. The one on the left is post war with liner. The right I believe is original German ww2 contract wartime production, that's had the Finnish liner installed (I'm Not sure).

Stahlhelm opinions please Stahlhelm opinions please Stahlhelm opinions please Stahlhelm opinions please Stahlhelm opinions please Stahlhelm opinions please
    Last edited by SimonSorenKam; 11-19-2021 at 12:09 AM.

?

It looks like my Czech reissued helmets which have a variety of liners.
    They were spray painted with a poor quality black.
    The outside looks like a quick respray over good paint.
    I wonder if the brush marks are underneath the last finish

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The liner is from a late Luftschutz helm. The helmet itself is an M35. Any stamps on the inside of the skirt?
    Took to it with a little bit of thinner and a polishing clothStahlhelm opinions please

Well there we have it, an original ww2 shell and as said probably reused after the war as a fireman helmet.

MAP
    ?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    The shell is actually an M40, probably a Q.
    Proven right Jim. Good eye and call on it being a Q.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Admire your expertise guys, incredible !
    Regards
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2