Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew

Article about: I apologise if the pictures are familiar to the forum, or have been seen before. I thought they’d be of interest mainly due to the unusual headgear in use. The sequence appears in 2nd Febr

Default Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew

I apologise if the pictures are familiar to the forum, or have been seen before. I thought they’d be of interest mainly due to the unusual headgear in use.

The sequence appears in 2nd February 1941 issue of Signal magazine. In this case the Danish issue.

Hopefully the pictures speak for themselves. Dornier DO17 crew as photographed by PK Grimm over England.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew
    P
    Many

?

Some units would cut away or hammer out the sides of the skirt, sometimes remove the liner, and perhaps fit an extra long chinstrap, all to accommodate the bulk of the flight helmet and its enormous headphones.

I once had the opportunity to buy such a modified example, marked to a Kampfgeschwader Fliegerhorst on the chinstrap, but it was unfortunately beyond my financial grasp at the time…

?

A splendid example of a more professionally modified helmet (perhaps, purpose-built, rather than modified), with the painted clog markings of Zerstörergeschwader 26.

Still beyond my grasp!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew   Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew  

Last edited by Kohima; 04-18-2024 at 04:17 PM.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    A splendid example of a more professionally modified helmet (perhaps, purpose-built, rather than modified), with markings for Zerstörergeschwader 26.

Still beyond my grasp!
    I'm sure Frank (Schwerpunkt) can advise but that looks similar to an M18 cutout, although the liner fixing is clearly different. Very interesting lid.

Interesting also with the two air vents

?

Another Luftwaffe stahlhelm for aircrew on Ratisbon's next auction with a liner to accommodate the leather flight helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew   Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew  

Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew   Stahlhelm use by Luftwaffe aircrew  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by kradman View Post
    Interesting also with the two air vents
    Yes, not something any backyard Benny could do ....never seen one before, wonder which factory made it?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

It is described (on Ratisbon’s), as appearing to be stamped ET66, “though this is very hard to find”.
    The description mentions that these were issued in 1944/45, and yet it bears a 1940 chinstrap (which, of course, could have been replaced at any time).
    Certainly a fascinating helmet, with a paucity of reference. Another example is owned by Anders Skötte; his bearing an Rb.Nr. and painted blue-grey, with a Y-shaped chinstrap arrangement, so it certainly appears to be a later experimental or limited production item.

MAP
    ?

My view is that these are all unit level creations. This hard to authenticate individual example.

They are cool though
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)