Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange Austrian m-17 helmet

Article about: Hello to all. I have an M-17 helmet. It was bought 8 years ago in an antique shop at a cheap price, as a modern restoration of the original helmet. I'm not really an expert, but recently I d

?

Default Strange Austrian m-17 helmet

Hello to all. I have an M-17 helmet. It was bought 8 years ago in an antique shop at a cheap price, as a modern restoration of the original helmet. I'm not really an expert, but recently I decided to read the forums and as I understood this is the original Austrian police helmet, which was in the service of the Austrian police somewhere from the 20s to the 50s. On the left side of the helmet, below the horn, there are two holes (I think they are from austrian gendarmerie flaming grenade insigna). The top layer of paint is dark green, under it is gray. The liner is strange, probably an austrian police post ww2 liner . There are remnants third reich police decals. Only one stamp I found on this helmet - letter S inside the sphere. There is also a fake ss stamp on the liner. Please tell me whether I am right or not about this helmet ?

Strange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmet
    Strange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmet
    Strange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmetStrange Austrian m-17 helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange Austrian m-17 helmet
    P
    Many

With the washers under the split pin heads I am wondering if is was once reworked by the Finns?

?

I found a discussion of a similar helmet in this thread Early transitional WW1 era helmet? It looks like I was right - the dark green color and liner indicates that this helmet was used by the austrian police in 50s - 60s.